Performance module

What are the electronic parts in a performance module?

An intergrated circuit.

Your car works by taking readings from the various sensors and adjusting the amount of gas fed through the injectors and adjusting the ignition timing appropriately. A “performance module” simply takes the same readings and adjusts the injectors and timing to provide more power…at the expense of gas mileage.

At worst, just about nothing. It really depends on what you’re talking about. Actual improvements to hp require reprogramming the ECU/CPU. Any ‘performance module’ you find on a web site that has them for every make and model is really worthless.

Thanks for the quick replies. What are the “resistors” that are listed on ebay? Looking at the price I thought this must surely be a scam.

I have had a couple of friends use some modules on their diesels. They claim to really have improved performance.

It is a scam. They basically just change a sensor signal to fool the ECU into thinking one of the parameters of the engine is different than it really is and spray a bit of additional fuel. The power you’ll gain will be negligible and the wisdom of running the engine rich is questionable.

Be careful of placebo effects. I’ll testify on the good book that the rear spoiler I put on my '72 Vega made the car go faster…

Be careful of placebo effects. I’ll testify on the good book that the rear spoiler I put on my '72 Vega made the car go faster…

Impossible…you only got the increased performance if you had the FRONT scoop along with the rear spoiler like I did on my 73 Vega…8*)

I did. I had them both.
Vega 8? Spent time ordering from the Cosworth catalog did you?

Performance modules on diesels can actually increase power.
They can kill an engine too.

A while back we had a long discussion with a diesel truck owner that fried their engine using well-know brand of add-ons, and Ford (correctly) refused to help, even though it was still under warranty. Avoid them (performance add-ons).

8*) is a smiley face with a bright drunkard nose and eyeglasses.