PCV Valve on 2002 Nissan Sentra

Where is the PCV valve located on a 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE with a 1.8 liter engine? Understand that I know next to nothing about engines including the names of various parts of the engine. I do know where the cap is that you remove when you need to add oil, and I do know where the air filter is.

Is this something that is easy to replace, and if so, how would I go about replacing it? Note, I will need detailed instructions, not just something like remove such and such. I would need to be told where such and such is and exactly how to remove it.

The PCV valve is on top of the valve cover. It has a hose attached to it. To remove the PCV valve, remove the hose from it, grasp and pull up on it. Reverse this order to install.

Would I be ignored if I advised you to get the repair manual for stuff like this?

I looked in the repair manual but couldn’t find it. In general, I find the repair manual assumes a level of knowledge that I don’t possess as does your answer here. Exactly, where is the valve cover found? What does it look like? Is there anything else located fairly nearby that I could get it confused with?

You need to take a class at a vocational school or other adult education center for hands on instruction.

The repair manual (Haynes, or Chilton’s) usually has a picture, and instructions, for changing things like pcv control valves. If your manual doesn’t, you can go to www.autozone.com, register your car, and come back here, and click on this link for the picture: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?fromSearchPage=true&pageId=0900c152801afb20&partName=Valve+Covers&partId=0900c152801afb20 Scroll down to the Fig. View of Valve Cover Components. The pcv valve looks like the type which has to be screwed out to remove it.

Essentially there will be two hoses connected to your valve cover. One will attach above the throttle body (it will attach to the plumbing between your air filter and the engine). The other will attach below the throttle body. The hose that attaches below the throttle body will lead to the PCV valve. Find it by process of elimination. Go to air cleaner …follow it back toward the engine. Find hose that attaches to valve cover. That’s not it. Seek the other one.

1 Like

Thanks.