Pcm u3000 4b

2019 Ford Escape. 1.5 Turbo. 46,000 mi.
My daughter recently bought this. She just got her learners permit. I was teaching her to parallel park on the lawn backout, so the steering was getting very used. The steering assist started giving out. The check engine light did not illuminate, but I did pull a U3000 4B Control module over temperature code. It started working again by the time I finished scanning. I am new to electric PS. Was wondering if this is normal behavior when over working steering.

The title of your post doesn’t seem to be related to the body of the post. Typo?

That code indicates the power steering control module was over temperature.

Tester

1 Like

The app kept posting before I finished. Please see edit

1 Like

Yes.

The motors used in electric power steering systems aren’t continuous duty motors. They’re intermittent duty motors.

So, constantly turning wheel back and forth can cause the motor to start to overheat.

Tester

Thank you, we bought this car with a rebuilt title, and I’m cautious on unknown damage. This is a relief.

The electric steering on Chevy Cobalts used to bind. The solution was to turn it off and the steering reset, allowing it to steer normally again. Eventually there was a recall to fix the issue.

1 Like

I hope this vehicle is for you . No way I would let a new driver / child be the only driver of a rebuilt vehicle.

I appreciate your concern. The person that repaired the vehicle showed me all the repairs that were made. Repairs were documented. The damage was a deer hit with cosmetic damage. I usually dismiss rebuilt titles, but upon seeing the types of repairs and diligent inspection, I’m confident that it’s safe. That being said I will be keeping my eye on it. I will be sitting in the passenger seat for the next many weeks as she just has a learners permit. I’m confident, but cautious.

1 Like