2010 Volkswagen Tiguan power steering

Hi everyone,

I have a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan that’s been having some power steering issues, and there doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to it.

The best I can describe the issue is this: if I’m making multiple stops (turning the engine off) when out running errands, once I start the ignition back up, I may or may not have power steering; the red power steering light will appear on my dash when it decides not to work. It seems completely random when I do and do not have power steering. The only remedy I’ve found is to let my car sit with the ignition off for a few hours before trying again.

My check engine light came on, and I thought maybe that had something to do with it, but after checking the code (P0234 - Engine Overboost Condition), I don’t think the two problems are related.

Any thoughts? Trying to diagnose this problem to see if it’s something I can fix myself before I take it to a mechanic. I’m a complete amateur when it comes to vehicles, so hopefully the problem isn’t too bad.

Your Tiguan has electric assist power steering.

So it could be the motor on the rack& pinion assembly.

There’s also a steering wheel angle sensor.

So it might also be that.

In this case, it’s cheaper to bring it to a mechanic. Shot gunning parts at this problem can get really spendy.

Tester

1 Like

Thanks! So I’ll try and repair the sensor in hopes that’ll fix it

You will need to read the faults in the power steering control module. The last 2 power steering failures that I repaired (non VW) required a $900 control module, I doubt replacing the steering wheel angle sensor will help and you will need a scan tool to perform the calibration.

Don’t do that. You will waste time and money guessing at the solution. Get it properly diagnosed.

Start with the battery, then check the alternator. Scan the steering control system and read the sensors you are guessing have failed and confirm they’ve failed. Or take it to someone with the tools and skill to do diagnose it. You will be time and money ahead.