Pathfinder shimmy

I have a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder with close to 140,000 miles. I recently changed my shocks and struts. I need to get an alignment. When I Take my foot off of the gas pedal while going above 40 mph my truck still has a little side to side wobble, almost like a fishtail. Any ideas?

It’s the rear-end control-arm bushings. This is a known issue with the 96-99.5 Pathfinder.

You have two choices…Replace the bushings or replace the control-arms and bushings. Inspect the control-arms to see if they are salvageable. If they aren’t bent or have too much rust then I’d just replace the bushings.

If you plan on doing this yourself you’ll need a machingshop to get the old bushing out and press the new bushings in. This is NOT a easy job. Expect it to take close to 8 hours. Don’t even try to remove the bolts…Cut them off and get new bolts. It’ll save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Usually when you get a side-to-side wiggle from the back of a vehicle, it points to a belt seperation in one or both of the rear tires.

Tester

Thank you very much. I was hoping it would be something a little easier but now I know and it gives me somewhere to start.

The tires are new so I hope that is not the problem but I will have them checked. Thanks.

If you have to replace the control arms…they are dealer only…and costly…about $600 just for the control arms. They come with the bushings so you don’t have to take it to a machine shop.