CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Passenger Airbag Position Module

The passenger airbag light remains off, but when someone sits in the seat, the dash airbag warning light comes on. The dealer charged me $80.00 to determine that the Passenger Airbag Position Module had to be replaced, at the wonderful price of almost $800.00. I just gave the $750.00 for the 60,000 mile service, and am having a tough time stomaching another $800.00 for this. I am a mailman, but am fairly handy, can I do this myself? Where should I look to find the best deal on this module? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

No. This is not something you can do yourself.

I would forget the dealer and find a good mechanic. A second opinion is needed before paying that kind of money for an airbag module.

The “module” is probably built into the seat. It thinks there is a child in the seat and disables the system to avoid injuring the child. The system wants no weight or adult weight in the seat…A couple of pressure switches…The $800 bucks is for a new seat, module included. If you can find a wiring diagram for the seat, you could spoof the computer with a couple of switches, controlling the passenger airbag trigger manually. Or look for a replacement seat in a salvage yard…

Just for the fun of it, try putting a couple of heavy sand-bags in the seat, 150 pounds or so. See how the nag light responds to that…