P0711 Code

Hello All. First time participating.

Background on my car:
I purchased my 2013 Kia Sorento SX AWD little over 2 years ago and been driving with no problem. When I purchased it, it had about 63-65,000 miles on it and today it is at 83,000. Haven’t done anything except oil change and change front 2 tires recently and planning on getting additional rear tires in couple of weeks.

Observed Issue:
couple of weeks ago, I got these lights turned on my dashboard. (ABS, 4WD System Warning Light, 4WD LOCK Indicator, DBC-Downhill Brake Controller Indicator). They turned ON for like 5 minutes and turned OFF. Ever since been like that. Sometimes they stay ON until I reach my destination. When I go back to my car to go back to home or another destination, Lights does not come ON.

Search Result:
When I search the internet, P0711 issue shows as Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor and it says do not drive take your car to mechanic immediately.

Question:
Has anyone experience this issue recently?
how much did it cost?
Since times are tough right now, what is the opinion on how long I can postpone this issue while driving it without giving any other affiliated issue?

Thank you in advance for your advice or feedback,

You can’t even get a decent guess as to cost . Your location is unknown , labor charges are not the same everywhere or the same for all shops .

Find an local independent shop , pay a diagnostic fee and get an estimate for repair . They might give you an idea of how serious this problem is.

3 Likes

That should answer your question

3 Likes

Overheating your transmission could cost you a lot of money in extra damage. Get this car to an independent transmission shop as soon as possible.

On another note, your tire shop shouldn’t have put new tires on the front, leaving old tires on the back. That’s a good way to cause a spinout and a crash.

1 Like

If the error is caused by a bad sensor, you could put this off for a bit. If the transmission is actually overheating you could be destroying a very expensive part of your car.

If money is tight, can you really afford to gamble that it’s only a bad sensor?

1 Like

+1
Needed repairs are very much like needed medical treatment in that neither one becomes cheaper by waiting, and are inevitably more expensive by delaying.

As has been mentioned, the OP needs to bite the bullet and have an independent trans shop give him a diagnosis.
If the problem is merely a bad sensor, then delaying the repair by a bit is probably not going to damage anything.
On the other hand, if the trans is actually overheating, then… :dizzy_face:

There are some reports of transmission fluid temperature sensor failures on this model, replacement cost may be between $600 and $1,000.