Overheating

I am a fan of the “… for Dummies” series of books and you two seem to be the biggist dummies that I know so I have a question for you. I own a 1999 GMC Jimmy V6 SL 10 that has been the best vehicle that I have ever owned, currently it has 160,000 miles on it. Recently I had all of the belts and hoses replaced and it seems the mechanic cracked the radiator tank and of course didn’t let anyone know about it. I found out when I was tooling down I-295 and as I reached my exit the tank ruptured completely and the car started to overheat. I coasted into a parking lot and discovered the problem, then had the car towed back home so I could replace the radiator and coolant, which was a simple 20 minute repair. The problem now is that the car won’t start, it will turn over with no problem, engine didn’t freeze up or anything like that. What else could I need to repair so I can get this great vehicle running again? And before you ask, no, it doesn’t look like some wreck, it is actually in very good shape and almost looks like a new vehicle.

Thanks,

Mike

PS You two need to write a book for the Dummies series, I guarantee it would be a best seller.

I can’t answer your question, but a simlar thing happened to me when a rad hose ruptured on my V8 Caprice. I was close to an exit off the freeway and was lucky there was a car dealer ship there. Although the car had lost nealy all its fluid, no engine damage took place.

How long did the car overheat? A little overheating when you’re coasting down to a garage likely did no harm

I’m puzzled about the starting though. Have a good mechainc check it out. The problem is probably related to the repair, not the overheating. It’s either a break in the igintion (no spark) or the fuel system.

Something electrical got soaked when the tank ruptured.
Look for condensation in the distributor cap, if it has one.