Overfill oil

Had oil change at dealership check today over full by less than 1/2in over second dot. Could this cause any problems

Not likely. Oil change places usually overfill a little. Not saying I like that, but it is what they do.

3 Likes

I think no action is needed if the oil level is only slightly above

Yes, correct. A little over is ok, a lot over can be bad. 1/4 to 3/8 over is ok.

1 Like

You’re answering your own question?
:thinking:

They overfill a little because most people don’t check the oil level between changes.
Gives a little more reserve if the engine consumes oil.
Same with many shops over-inflating tires.

1 Like

Less than 1/2" could be 1/16". Do you mean it was close to 1/2" over the dot? That would be pretty significant overfill on any of the dipsticks/crankcases I have for cars…

1 Like

I doubt it would be necessary, 1/2 inch over seem unlikely to cause problems, but if I noticed the oil level 1/2" over the “full” mark on the dipstick after I did an oil & filter change and a test drive, I’d drain some out. I wouldn’t drain if only 1/4" over.

1 Like

If you do a lot of “spirited” driving, rev the engine to its limits etc. then I’d suggest that you remove the filter, empty it out and then reinstall it. That will drop the oil level back to around normal.

If you drive like a normal person, then don’t worry about it.

Regular and extended high revs cause and overfilled crankshaft to aireate the oil causing a lower lubricity of the oil just when you need it the most. Normal engine operation will not whip up the oil like that even if it is a little over full.

3 Likes

I wrote it because someone will tell me if I am wrong