Over tighten bolts on starter and ruined threat

Hey I’m new to this but I need advice. I unfortunately ruined the threats on my starter. I believe they bolt to the engine block. Is there a way I can fix this or I have to get a whole new block.
I have a Honda Civic 1998 dx 1.6L automatic.

You can use a thread inset such as a Heli-Coil or similar to repair it. They sell these online and at the auto parts store. They should include a drill bit, a tap to make special threads for the insert, the inserts, and a tool to install them. They usually don’t include a tap handle. You will, of course, need a clear path the the damaged bolt hole for the drill and tap. Find a video and watch how its done. Good Luck

2 Likes

Will I have to take down my transmission? Things is I just put it back just wondering is I can fix it with the tranny on but I think not?

Parts stores sell thread restoring kits.
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_206508001?hei=333&wid=333&op_sharpen=1

These kits don’t cut new threads. But instead roll the damaged threads to their original shape.

Tester

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice and quick answer guys. Hopefully I can fix it because if it was a very difficult task my dad would have killed me