Output Shaft Seal Repair - Still Leaking Transmission Fluid

My car was leaking ATF from the driver side. I spotted it early enough before there was any jerking or slow acceleration. I took it to a Firestone, and they said the left output shaft seal needed replacement at a cost of $186.69 (P/L). I got a second opinion from an independent shop and they said the axle seal AND bushing needed replacement at a cost of $490.00 (P/L). Being broke, I of course opted for the cheaper repair. The repair was done on a Saturday, and Saturday night it was still leaking ATF from the repair site. Could this be just residual fluid from the repair that I should wait a few days to see? Or should I take it back right away?

Never go to Firestone for mechanical repairs. Find a good independent mechanic instead. I know Firestone is convenient to find but they are still in a class with Jiffy Lube.

There is a simple answer. Pick up phone-call repair place-say I think I still have a leak-ask when a good time is for them to look at it.

It’s worthwhile to take a wait and see approach on this as long as it isn’t leaking large volumes of fluid. Park the car over some cardboard each time and hopefully you’ll notice the amount of the leak drops to zero over the course of a few days. It might just be residual fluid dripping from the prior leak.

I concur w/ @missileman 's advice to find a good and well recommended local inde shop for problems like this. I realize it’s convenient to treat auto repair needs like your need for potato chips, just go to the big box store for everything. It works for potato chips, but not so much for auto repair. You need some personalized service and to develop a long-term relationship with a shop. When you do, and you have this type of problem, all you’ll have to do is call them up and they’ll ask you to bring the car back in straight away to see what’s wrong. If it was caused by them, they’ll fix it gratis, no complaints. Ask friends, co-workers, fellow pub goers who they use for their auto repair work.

There’s no way in knowing what needs to be replaced in order to repair the leak.

Without knowing the year, make, and model of the vehicle, for all we know there could be a TSB that addresses what needs to be done to fix the leak.

Anything else is just guessing.

Tester

By the phrase “take it back right away” does this mean that you think the shop should stand behind that repair?

Are you asking me @ok4450 ?

No; I was wondering what the OP’s intention or line of thinking is. That could be taken to mean that they expect the shop to stand behind the still leaking seal replacement.

What do you mean by TSB? I’m in the process of trying to pin point a tranny leak on my car.

Technical Service Bulletin.

Tester