O'Reilly's: Does Anybody Actually *BUY* Anything There?

I’ll have to try that. I hate wheels and do them first to get them out of the way. I pretty much just use Bleechwhite and scrub. Too cold here yet for a while though for any outside washing.

I’m waiting for global climate change to subside a bit. Hopefully in a month or two the weather here will allow me to get out the hose.

It’s still so cold here that the end of your dipstick can freeze and fall off!

I’ve used Bleechwhite and some others, but really like DUB. I just noticed my bottle is nearly full. A little bit goes a long way!
CSA

To Whom It May Concern:

I frequent the three major parts retailers, AdvanceAutoParts, AutoZone and O’Reilly’s, for what I need at the lowest price. AdvanceAutoParts seems to have the better sales and coupons. AutoZone stocks the same caliber of equipment, with slight variation, by different manufacturers than AdvanceAutoParts. O’Reilly’s stocks odd and hard to find parts and tools. As far as prices go, they are all roughly the same, differing a few cents on each dollar.

• southsidesmoka

Who is “us”. I don’t have to subscribe to something to realize some people may want it. I build and sell stuff all the time that I have no interest in owning. But I can recognize a market need that can make me money in the process…

You asked why, I gave an example.

Stalking people is still illegal but there are still devices on the market you can buy to help. Just because they is a market for something doesn’t mean it is a good market or should be done. Just sayin’ we need to get a handle on some of these privacy issues but it already may be too late.

1 Like

Who was that has been actor who said “trust but verify?”

If I stab someone to death with a fork, should that fork be made illegal or not manufactured? Or should we just stick with the act being the illegal part? Product use can always be distorted for illegal purposes. I am certainly against the position that we can eliminate the act if we remove the tools.

I also do not understand the fear and loathing surrounding the type of “privacy issues” being discussed here. People do more self-inflicted potential damage to themselves by announcing on Facebook that they’re going on a disney cruise for the next two weeks (we’ll definitely be out of town so help yourself) than this…

+1
I guess that Facebook does have some redeeming qualities, but after a couple of years I just removed myself from that mess. I think that it is ultimately extremely conceited to believe that anyone would be interested in where I just shopped, or what I just ate, or in other mundane details of my life, yet that type of stuff seems to occupy many people’s posts on that forum. Obviously those who remain glued to Facebook would disagree with me, but–overall–I think that Facebook is just…Much ado about nothing.

However, it is truly amazing to read accounts of how often people have been “done in” by some of the revealing information that they chose to share on Facebook.
:confounded:

I too am amazed by the conceit that I see on social networks but even more outrageous is what people do in public. Recently I felt the need to visit the public rest room in a big box store and while visiting there overheard a man talking on his cell phone while relieving himself in a stall.In a few short minutes the man had infromed the world of his shopping success as well as his successful bowel movment. I struggled to choke back laughing until I exited.

Well, we’ll disagree a little. Its the same reason I don’t like the police plate scanners. Driving around minding your own business as a law abiding US citizen and the police are collecting movement information and storing. Just don’t like it and the more we move in the direction that anyone can track anyone’s movements, I still don’t like it and think it is dangerous. No one has a right to track anyone’s movements in this country without a court reviewing it first.

More scary is that a bit ago, the Edina Police got a warrant for Google to reveal anyone who had Googled a particular name for a period of time. Yeah they had a reason that someone got bilked out of $30K or so by getting a pic on line and building a passport document. Two things to be concerned about-how they got an OK to get this information, and how someone can clean someone out by grabbing a picture off the internet. Guess I’m a little jumpy. I don’t want to have to drive 50 miles every time I want to pull some money out but maybe that’s what its going to take. Interesting that at Disney, my fingerprint fails 75% of the time. Been that way since climbing a fence as a kid so maybe we’re into facial recognition.

I used to work with a guy who apparently used his visits to the toilet for cell phone calls to his wife.
If I thought that the noises were embarrassing from my vantage point at the urinal, I can only wonder how his wife felt about having to hear those sounds every time that he phoned her from work.

Those sounds may not make it to the other side. To decrease bandwidth demand, the phone uses filters to remove anything outside of the normal voice. Many background noises are simply not included in the digitization and transmission. That being said, it seems coarse and vulgar to call someone while you’re on the can…

Do you have anything to support the notion that they are retaining records of every single plate they scan? Because that would be a significant endeavor and really not in their interest to do.

The way it works is the plate is scanned, digitized and then compared to a hash table of plates on record with outstanding violations. No match? Next… Why would they use significant hardware resource to save any of that?

You’d also have to have droves of police cars with these cameras to put together any semblance of routing information on a particular car. That’s not feasible. People tend to fear this far more than reasonable IMHO…

1 Like

Yep, that was the whole argument the last few years. Yes some departments were keeping the information for a year so they could go back and investigate who was in an area during a crime. Some kept it 6 months, and most kept it 90 days. I believe it was finally legislated to retain the information for only 30 days unless an investigation has been initiated. I really don’t believe it takes that much storage-it’s just data.

So you compare that with all electronic communication being scooped up and stored in Utah, emails being scanned for key words. Then you have political lists being compiled of people donating to certain groups so they can be audited, and you start to come pretty close to a police state. Some folks are hard at work while the public sleeps and has no idea what they are doing.

1 Like

My sources tell me they are particularly interested in e-mails and blogs containing the word “YUGE.”

;-]

2 Likes

So the conversations here are for sure being stored for posterity. A couple hundred years from now someone will get a laugh when they purge their records.

Just data? Think about how many cars a single cruiser goes by in a day and the number of license plates scanned. That adds up pretty quick even with compression. Then again, they have more capital to spend with all the drug money they confiscate so a disk farm is probably not an impediment like it might be to commercial enterprises.

One thing I do get riled up about is laws that allow them to confiscate money and other personal property found during traffic stops even if you’re not wanted or doing anything criminal. Lots of stories of this kind of abuse. That to me, is far more concerning than info regarding where I’ve been. Just passing through and basically kidnapped and robbed of all your possessions. There are numerous stories of people fighting for years to get their property back…That is something to get incensed about…

I’m not a computer guy but that’s just what the police were doing until the legislature got involved and changed the time the records can be kept without an investigation. Really all you have per entry is the lic #, time, location (maybe just coordinates). The computer work is the instant check to see if the lic matches the car or is on the data base. Don’t ask me how that is done but they are able to pretty instantly tell if a plate is from a different car. Don’t we have any investigators on here?

This is one of the first articles from 2012 on the subject. 30,000 plates a day.