Meanwhile, at an O'Reilly's store in Ohio

Oh, oh, oh, O’Reilly’s!
I’m glad that their croooked employees were arrested.

4 Likes

Down here in Nashville area (I have used many different locations) we called them Slow, slow, slow, slo’Reilly’s, cause they was slow on delivery’s…

Not getting anything in return my A$$… You know dang well they were getting a under the table kickbacks or at least the mangers were… lol
I’m sure the shop was charging full price for the parts he was allegedly stealing…
But yeah glad they got caught…

2 Likes

Maybe about 12 years ago, a very observant local cop decided to investigate headlights that he saw in back of Jiffy Lube… long after closing time. He found the JL manager and an employee partaking in some “nose candy”, and he promptly put the cuffs on them.

That JL was closed for about 1 week before they were able to find a new manager. Maybe their old manager now works at that O’Reilly’s store in Ohio. :smirk:

This was pretty common at target before they changed their policy again. I’m having a little trouble identifying the crime that was committed except for the mechanic taking bogus used parts and getting an exchange. I wouldn’t buy car parts there or at az and wouldn’t deal with a mechanic that did. Going back to the days of crown auto, then champion, before everything was made in China. So I just buy packaged cleaners etc. different people every time and I don’t want to insult a box of rocks by comparison but usually takes two to make change. Being stupid is not yet a crime until they get more jails built.

Otoh, finding people to work retail is a real challenge these days. I was trying to buy stain at sw and could only get 3 gal instead of 4, because the lady put the can in the shaker without pounding the lid down. $70 a gallon before the discounts. I asked the manager if it is taken out of their check and if they use wholesale or retail prices (just having fun). Naw he said it’s just overhead.

3 Likes

I was forced to switch from my prior very good inde parts store to an O’Reilly’s when Corolla removed from road, due to the distance to the inde store. I have to say the O’Reilly’s staff, while maybe not particularly car-knowledgeable, they are pretty good at getting the parts I need quickly. Generally they don’t have what I need at the store. But if I stop by around 2 pm to place the order to their warehouse, they’ll almost always have it at the store when I return around 6 pm. Sometimes they have difficulty finding it though.

Local operations are only as good as the management that operates the store even if it is not a franchise. While O’Reilly is not a franchise operation, they do have a franchise arm (Parts City Auto Parts).

1 Like

West Milton Ohio is a pretty small town. Likely everyone knew each other.

The town was just west of where I used to live.

The closest parts store to my first house must have had something similar happen in the late 80s. The manager disappeared and no one would talk about it. He always took good care of me. I’d stop on a Wednesday to order parts for the car I planned to work on the coming Saturday. The stuff I was driving back then always needed a warehouse call. They’d always be ready.

1 Like

Yeah I think it is about 4500 souls, minus about five now. Gotta be a very small police force and maybe no city jail. Still wonder what the charge is for the clerks unless the manager rolls over fbi style. An envelope with cash just appeared and I split the bonus. Too bad the serial numbers were recorded. Maybe an Autozone wanted to open up.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m a straight shooter against any kind of graft or corruption, but this story kind of has holes in it.

At any rate I seldom return anything, just eat the loss and throw it away.

2 Likes

A $10K scheme like this would possibly not be large enough to interest the local officials here in South Jersey.

1 Like

What exactly is the crime? Unless it can be proven that the manager and/or individual employees received some sort of bribe or kickback from the customer(s), there is no crime. Incompetence is not a crime, nor is accepting questionable returns to placate a customer–especially a customer who comes in on a regular basis.

To be sure, an employer can certainly fire employees who are wasteful with company property, and this would certainly qualify as waste. But absent some sort of bribe or kickback, there is no crime, and certainly not theft.

2 Likes

Fraud, theft, conspiracy to commit theft. A person doesn’t need to profit from theft to be involved in the act.

1 Like

Did you mean does not need??

Yes, corrected that.

2 Likes

That is very true… If I walk into your garage and take a tool and then give the tool to a stranger or whoever, I did not profit from it in any way, but it would still make me a thief as I stole your tool…

Robinhood was still a thief… lol

1 Like

Huh? If you steal something, and then give the stolen property away to someone else, you still profited from stealing the item. That is the reason why in this hypothetical example you could still be charged with a crime.

Absent proof that the manager and employees in question profited somehow from accepting these returns, and providing new parts under warranty, I just don’t see that a crime occurred, or that allegations of theft or fraud will stick–and allegations of a conspiracy certainly won’t stick.

I’m not saying something funny wasn’t going on, but being arrested initially for something with some evidence, only allows holding a person for a short time. Then comes the da that has to decide whether or what to charge them with. Then a court appearance, bail maybe, and then maybe a jury will decide. Police arrest people all the time who are out on the street next day. Until we hear the actual charges by the attorneys office, it’s just nice newsprint.

Nothing wrong with a person writing a nice story that gets nation-wide distribution and maybe lead to a job at the Columbus dispatch, but it’s just a nice story now by a loss prevention employee that maybe could use some press himself. Just sayin is all. If you have a staff job, numbers are important at evaluation time.

If you take something off the shelf and hand it over to another person that is the same thing rather you profited from it or not… What the managers and employees are doing with the shop is a con…

I have sent back 1000’s of parts over to the wrong parts stores by mistake over 30+ years and they ALL corrected the mistake cause they had better records, but warranting out a part is much more of a hassle dealing with the parts houses, they researched the history of the part to make sure you bought it from them and almost never took someone else’s parts back under warranty, so this guy just keeps walking in and giving the parts people X part with out even looking up if he ever bought it from them or not sounds like a con… Besides most parts houses I have ever delt with always have a commercial parts department that handles ALL the commercial accounts…

Again it is all allegations right now… lol

3 Appeared in court last week on Forgery and Theft charges. According to a week old article shared through MSN

Three of the employees appeared in Miami County Municipal Court Wednesday afternoon on charges including forgery and theft.

The employees are accused of knowingly filing O’Reilly return and exchange documentation incorrectly, according to court documents.

More than $10,000 in car parts is said to be obtained “by deception”, court documents allege.

An investigation is ongoing, according to a spokesperson for West Milton Police Department.

Stealing is o’reilly’s modus operandi.
I once attempted to order a $5 (at least twice as much as it should’ve been) thermostat gasket there, and they wanted $16 for delivery. No, I am not on the moon. I am not even in China…

1 Like

If you live in China the delivery fee might be a lot less. :blush:

2 Likes