Opening the car door with the right hand makes drivers more aware of passing bicyclists

I’m confused. I generally agree with Bing but this obsession with riding bicycles against the flow of traffic borders on moronic. I have no problem with cyclists riding which ever direction they want or even on sidewalks at low speeds in low traffic residential areas with motor vehicle speed limits of 20 to 25mph during daylight hours. I’m sure you are as familiar as I am with 55mph rural roads with blind curves and elevation changes. They seem to attract cyclists. I’m guessing for the challenge. They can be dangerous when riding legally as expected. If they choose to ride against traffic (not expected) all I can say is “I hope they have their affairs in order”!

Based on the graphics it appears our state encourages bicyclists to go with the flow of traffic, I have never considered doing otherwise.

Their ancestors were there long before yours were.

Facts or it does not count @RandomTroll sure there were cave paintings of deer, and Keeping it car related I do not believe the cave paintings of an equinox had 4 wheels :soccer:

The autumnal equinox had snow tires and the vernal equinox had summer tires mounted.

1 Like

I know, I know :smirk:… the solar Eclipse :sunglasses: has DRLs and the lunar Eclipse has HID headlights. :flashlight:
The Saturns are out of this world! :earth_americas:
CSA

No, that graphic means: “Wear a helmet, or better yet, two helmets.”

;-]

1 Like

But, at least GM’s newest iteration of their incredibly annoying Chevy ads includes a hipster with a “man bun” on top of his head, who informs us that the new Equinox is “a bad mammah-jammah”.

Certainly you couldn’t have a more intelligent, substantive, and informative review of a vehicle than the one that he provided. Thanks, GM!

Yes, we should all buy cars from companies that sell their cars in a more responsible manner. Subaru is love. The best reason to buy a Toyota is because Jan dances!

One car company (don’t remember which one) hired rodents to do their ads… chipmunks or hamsters or rats, or some darned thing.
Highly intelligent rodents, I’m sure! :wink:
CSA

That was KIA, with their original ads for the Soul model.

My brother’s reaction when KIA first entered the US marketplace was that he couldn’t bring himself to buy one, simply because of how often he had to enter the letters “KIA” next to the name of a man from his regiment during the Vietnam War. He said that having to look at “KIA” every day would bring back too many bad memories.

I find it amusing that what started this rant and emotion filled thread was the fact that a state (MA) added a sensible process to its driver ed regarding how you open your door, in an effort to reduce certain types of accidents. They did not pass a law or create a regulation. It is akin to the “suggestion” that you wait two seconds after a red light turns green before proceeding, or looking both ways before crossing the street. It doesn’t cost anything and you don’t HAVE to do it. I think the idea that we try to make people more aware of what is around them and reduce accidents through sensible processes WITHOUT turning them into laws and regulations is fantastic. Imagine how this thread would look if Massachusetts made it a LAW that you had to use the “Dutch Reach” to open your driver’s side door! The resulting tickets would surely be great dinner conversation!!!

I couldn’t play golf this A.M. because a charity tournament was on the course, so I just got back from my morning 7 mile highway bicycle cardio sprint. While riding, I had time to think about why I think it’s okay to ride against traffic and others think I’m nuts.

Allow to explain, please. It comes down to a difference in one’s connotation of “highway,” I believe.

I will try and create a mental image of my highway. I live on a 10,000 acre lake, basically in the forest. A highway runs past my house at the end of my 800 foot long lake access road.

I can go one direction and with only one stop sign (no traffic lights, etcetera) for ten miles to a jerk-water town with 2 gas stations and 3 bars, a veritable small drinking village with a fishing problem.

Go the other direction for 20 miles, only two stop signs, and arrive in a town with 7 gas stations, several bars, a Wal-Mart, a car wash, County Building, library, the golf course, etcetera. It has 2 traffic lights on main street!

I sometimes ride around the lake by taking the highway that circumnavigates the lake (the same highway I use to do my morning ride). It’s 27 miles around the lake and I go exactly 3.5 miles up the road on it to a brown DNR sign and return. It takes about 26 minutes.

The highway has painted fog lines, but they allow only 2 to 3 feet of pavement width before a gravel shoulder. The width varies. Sometimes one side is wider, sometimes the other. There are curves There are driveways (many are blind) on the lake side, forest on the other side.

Now, here’s the biggy… On a typical morning I am passed by about 4 or 5 cars (total of both directions)during the 26 minute ride. Today was crazy busy :wink: (week-end traffic). I must have seen 9 or 10 cars in 26 minutes!

The driveways, all on one side (and rural mailboxes!), curves, and varying “riding lane” width determine which way I’ll be riding at different times, with traffic or against.

So, that’s my connotation of “highway”. I’m pretty sure, when I think about it, that some folks have a connotation of highway that includes more traffic and actual bicycle lanes. I would be an idiot riding against traffic on most of those roads!
CSA

I must have seen 9 or 10 cars in 26 minutes!

Reminds me of an old retired bud, It must be the weekend, there are so many boats on the lake.

Driving the county roads yesterday for about 50 miles, I was behind an SUV that spent half his time well over the fog line and close to the gravel. I thought if I were on a bike would I rather have him coming up behind me or toward me where I could get off on the gravel? Regardless of what the Highway Patrol say-It’s my life. And you know what they used to say, “Yeah he was right, dead right.” In answer to the question a couple days ago though, my bike is hanging in the garage and needs new tires.

My mother in MN used to drive over the right line on the right, she said it is what people up here do, because of all the vehicles towing boats that routinely cross over the center line, not when there is a bicycle present of course.

With your completely wrong thinking it is best that you continue letting it hang in the garage.

Yeah that’s good advice for a car talk site. I’d rather talk about lawn mowers than bikes although I used to bike to work when we only had one car and different shifts.

Much like my description of reasonable speed cycling in a very low traffic volume residential neighborhood with 20 to 25mph speed limit.

I tell which day of the week it is by the letters on my pill container. Of course it is not foolproof as there are 2 S’s and 2 T’s.