Oogah horn

A friend has an antique electric Oogah horn he wants to fit to a 2002 Ford F150. He says he was told it would cause computer problems in his truck. That sounds pretty bogus because he’s not connecting it to the computer, he’s connecting it to the battery. On the other hand, I’m routinely surprised by stuff I think is bogus and turns out to have some validity. Any help is appreciated.

thank you,

Michael

If it uses a relay, and is connected to the battery, I don’t see any way for it to bother the computer. Now, on a Volkswagen or other CANbus type of vehicle there may be some issue, but I don’t think that applies to a Ford F150.

There ought to be no electrical connection between the computer and his new toy, hence no computer problem. Remember who gave you that previous advice so that you take no further suggestions from that party.

Don’t see any problems if a relay is used. I have an old OOgaa horn on my 66 Thunderbird, and no problems for 30 years. Of course I don’t drive the car in this time of high gas prices. I think I’ll put on my 03 Ranger pickup. LEE

I wouldn’t be surprised if the horn was designed for a 6V system, using a relay would be a good idea. When I was in high school, I had a 1920s horn (6V) installed in my beater (12V), it worked fine for a couple of years.

An oogah horn has an intermittent duty but otherwise common dc electric motor. You have other electric motors in your car so why not one more. As was said, 12 volts on an already overdriven 6 volt electric motor will shorten the motor’s life so don’t use it for long periods of time. Yes, you need a horn relay to ease the load on the horn button switch. People used to use a dropping resistor to run a 6 volt car radios on 12 volts but one for your horn might not be available now.