One click when trying to start, pause, starts. Now, crank but no start

I have a 2001 Nissan Altima 2.4L and right now it cranks but does not start. I don’t know anything about cars, but I thought it might be the fuel pump - here’s why:

For a while now, when I would go to start my car I would get a single click on the first try. I would turn the key to the off position, turn the key to the on position, pause about 10 seconds, try again, and then it would start right up. Recently I drove my parents’ car and my mother told me to turn the key to the on position for a moment before starting to let the fuel pump engage - just to prolong its life.

I’ve seen that the click generally has to do with the starter, but the pausing solution makes me wonder. Although I don’t understand the click in the first place. That doesn’t seem like it has anything to do with the fuel pump.

Could it have to do with the battery? I replaced it a couple of months ago because one post had been covered in whatever it is that leaks out of the battery. This was after replacing the battery 18 months earlier for the same problem. The cables are nice and tight. I do have full power to the car when in the on position.

I’d appreciate any thoughts to save me time and money :slight_smile:

The battery can be analyzed at a parts place or Walmart with a modern analyzer, or to some degree at home with a simple voltmeter.

It sounds like the starter solenoid is not reliably making good contact with the two copper contacts inside it. The contacts get burnt and eroded. An auto electric shop can easily check and repair this, if you can take it to them. Some may even do the remove and reinstall. Most repair shops will save time by putting in a new or a rebuilt starter motor. That’s a lot more expensive.

You can get a new starter for $60 here

I’m confused about how it can be the starter if the engine is turning over though. Everything I’ve read informs me that it’s fuel or spark that is the issue.

1 Like

But does it always turn over when you turn the key to Start?

No, but currently it is. If so, I wouldn’t think replacing the starter is going to help the current issue.

If it cranks robustly but won’t catch and start, unlikely to be related to the starter. It sounds like you have a no-crank issue there in parallel, but at this point that’s not why it isn’t starting. Cranks but doesn’t start is usually due to either no gas or no spark. Ask your shop to check for visible spark at a spark plug during cranking, or spray starter spray into the intake manifold to see if it will start and briefly run that way. That will tell you which it is, spark or fuel.

If you can get it to start and the no-crank problem returns, post back, there’s a simple voltage measurement your shop can do that can tell a lot about what the problem is.

I have a 2001 Nissan Altima 2.4L and right now it cranks but does not start. I don’t know anything about cars, but I thought it might be the fuel pump - here’s why:

For a while now, when I would go to start my car I would get a single click on the first try. I would turn the key to the off position, turn the key to the on position, pause about 10 seconds, try again, and then it would start right up. Recently I drove my parents’ car and my mother told me to turn the key to the on position for a moment before starting to let the fuel pump engage - just to prolong its life.

I’ve seen that the click generally has to do with the starter, but the pausing solution makes me wonder. Although I don’t understand the click in the first place. That doesn’t seem like it has anything to do with the fuel pump.
For a selection of afordable OBD2 scanners click here

Hi,

if it cranks strongly, it is not likely that the battery is a problem. Nor the starter.
Best thing to do is scan for codes, as this might tell alot.
I.e. you might have a bad crankshaft sensor. This will cause crank-but-no-start situation.

If the CPS is fine, check if there is spark.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Starters can work interminently for a long time before they quit for good and leave you stranded somewhere.You should replace it because a tow bill is a lot more expensive than a starter.