Car was cranking now wont

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima SL 2d it was cranking just fine, cut it off, crunk it back up,sounded a little sluggish but still crunk up, cut it off and tried cranking again but won’t turn over, everything works lights, windows,radio but won’t turn over. Changed the battery to a brand new fully charged battery but still wont turn over, windows, radio, lights and all still working but will not turn over. Please help!!!

Have you tried turning the engine over by hand at the crankshaft bolt?

Tester

I am new to all this and new to this site so please bare with me. I have twin boys and need this car as it’s my ONLY transportation. Please help!

My husband said the motor is not locked up…?

Okay!

That’s a good sign.

What exactly happens when you try to start the engine?

Tester

You hear the fuel pump kick on but it does nothing

Turn the ignition on so the dash lights come on, step on the brake pedal and shift the transmission into neutral and then try starting the engine.

Tester

We tried that too, when the key is just turned the dash lights come on, then when the key is turned further to try to crank up the dash lights go off and nothing happens.

That;s normal.

Let me look up the wiring diagram for the starting system for your car.

Tester

Ok, thank you! We’re hoping it’s not the starter

Have you tried banging on the starter to see if it starts?

Tester

Your symptoms are similar to a dead starter.

1 Like

Yes, tried that, didn’t change anything. He said it’s like it’s not getting good connection or something but the battery is clean,everything’s good as far as that goes. See, the alternator is bad and we just bought a new one waiting to have it put in but even with the bad alternator still in it was still cranking up with a fully charged battery, we just kept having to charge the battery then this just happened.

You may have damaged the battery from discharging it too many times to where it will can no longer provide the amperage to operate the starter.

Tester

1 Like

We put the very same battery in another older vehicle and it started right up no problems

Just from memory - it was some manufacturer TSB about sudden “no start” on that generation, where they replaced some relay in charge of energizing starter.