OK, some people keep their cars for over 200K miles

You also said “It doesn’t seem like it’s true.” Which was a direct reply to the previous statement saying that cars are more reliable now then they were 25 years ago. He wasn’t saying that new car is better than a 25yo car. He’s saying that a new car is better than a car made 25 years ago. There’s a HUGE difference.

This makes zero sense:

quote=“MikeInNH, post:21, topic:182167”]
He wasn’t saying that new car is better than a 25yo car. He’s saying that a new car is better than a car made 25 years ago
[/quote]

What I was implying is that it doesn’t seem like a 2000 model is almost “a car of 25 years ago”.

And no, I don’t think a new car manufactured today is necessarily more reliable than a new car manufactured some 20 years ago. Case in point, the 2000 model Silverado with 550k miles that started the thread.

What is it that you’d like to argue with me about exactly? I’m confused.

1 Like

My 2000 6.0L is about 220,000, and I just put an oil pump and a/c compressor in it. Only other major thing I’ve had to do was a radiator several years back. Oh, and tires. Lots and lots of tires. Seems my gas pedal foot weighs more than my braking foot. :wink:

2 Likes

My 2007 Silverado Classic has just over 260k, and it has had a rough life. The 5.3 engine has had no major work and the 4L60 has only had the transfer case adapter (tail shaft between the transmission and the transfer case) replaced, but that was because of bad U-joints and not because of the transmission or the transfer case.

It was a super storm Sandy vehicle but the only porforation rust is on the drivers side rocker panel.

The truck above may just need the screen filter under the pressure sending unit replaced rather than a new oil pump or overhaul. BTW, I had a neighbor with a 2003 that went over 600k on the original engine and transmission.

2 Likes

Yep it seems that a lot of people have the same problem.

1 Like

244K on our '04 V-6 Camry . Both my wife and I prefer it to our '15 Camry. It did need a new starter though.

Exactly, and that’s not just considering fuel costs. When I was growing up, my Dad told me that a car was a necessary expense, and the most economical way to own one was to buy brand new, maintain it as needed, and keep it for 200,000 miles. He drove a lot, but I remember a 63 Fairlane, 69 Skylark, 78 Caprice, 92 Caprice, all that went over 200K before being sold. But along with those miles came countless radiators, alternators, probably 10 brake jobs per car, belts, tune-ups, and they all had transmission overhauls.

I’m 52 years old I regularly see original radiators at 200,000 miles. That was impossible at the beginning of my career, now it’s expected. 25 years ago a 60,000 mile service was several hours or a day’s worth of gravy work for a mechanic and we would fight over them. Today it’s an oil change and a cabin filter, and the guys all run away looking for something better to do.

1 Like

According to you maybe.

1 Like

ONE vehicle survey is totally meaningless.

Ok, quote it all. You said:

“He wasn’t saying that new car is better than a 25yo car. He’s saying that a new car is better than a car made 25 years ago”

What does that mean? If a new car is better than a car made 25 years ago, it’s certainly going to be better than a 25 year old used car made 25 years ago!?!

Already said what I stated about vehicle reliability was my opinion. That one vehicle survey is one vehicle that has made me form that opinion. If you’re of the opinion that any 2020 vehicle is more reliable than any 2000 model vehicle, you’re entitled to your opinion. Yet you’re going to have less meaningless vehicle surveys than I am.

I think you just like to argue, and you don’t even have a point to make.

So I’m not in the conversation anymore.

Vehicles made 20 years ago may have a slight advantage over vehicles made today. Vehicles made 20 years ago were based on technology that was new in the late 80’s, early 90’s. Lately there have been advances in technology that is still new on 20-22 vehicles that may or may not be as reliable.

But most vehicles made in the last 20 years or so are still based on the same platforms with the same basic engines (blocks and heads) so the durability should be the same. I think the new vehicles will last just as long as the vehicles made 20-25 years ago, but they may need just a little more maintenance to get there. But they save gas.

Can you please confirm this is the 5.3 WITHOUT active fuel management?

Silverado “Classic” was the old GMT800 body style. None of those got active fuel management, only the GMT900 (the then new body style) and later. So no AFM on his truck.

1 Like

That’s what I thought

AFM on the 5.3 is 100% GUARANTEED WITHOUT A DOUBT TROUBLE, imo

1 Like

Agreed. Sadly. I believe the same for the first few years of the Ford 3 valves (per cylinder). Only a matter of time before those knock and/or lose time. Six one, half a dozen the other Ford vs GM during those years, IMO.

Hopefully they’ve both got it ironed out by now.

But, not to repeat myself, the 2000-2003ish edition of each was stone cold reliable.

1 Like

You guys are really cynical, aren’t you?

On an entirely unrelated matter, last week at the shop we had an F150 3-Valve in for timing component replacement, right side chain slipped, 130,000 miles. Also have a 2008 Silverado 5.3 AFM waiting for engine replacement, 140,000 miles.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What makes an 18 year old car preferable to a 7 year old car? Just curious…

How it was designed and manufactured.

I was replying to comments by 37chev. I was curious what made him or her prefer the older Camry.