Oil Overfilling: What to do?

Here’s some good diy’er oil change tips

Yup, those jack stand will do.

@santinovillo Is it possible to have someone help you that has jacked up vehicles and changed oil before.

A bit of an update in case you are interested.

As much as I wanted to do it myself, I finally decided to take it to the mechanic because I realized it would be too risky trying to place the stand jacks using a scissor jack (I would have to lift up one side of the car at a time).

Anyway, it was a good thing to do after all cos they identified the origin of the leak and it has nothing to do with this incident. The leak seems to be coming either from the oil pump or the crankshaft seal.

I’m going to take it to another mechanic on Monday where they recently replaced the cam-belt. Problem might have to do with a bad job. They even found a bolt really badly screwed completely coming out. The previous owner is going to take responsibility for it.

Good decision, never use that flimsy scissor jack for anything except for a roadside emergency. Get a good floor jack that’s rated to hold more than what your car weighs (and always use the aformentioned jack stands in the previous post with the floor jacks). Glad to hear you have a good resolution, we like to hear the eventual answers to the many puzzles that get posted here :slight_smile: And good for the previous owner to take responsibility for it, he’s paying for it I take it?

Concur, for diy’er work like that, really no safe substitute for a floor jack. And floor jacks able to lift a Peugeot safely aren’t overly expensive. If you have no place to store the floor jack, that can be a problem for which the best solution is to just hire the work out and forget about the diy’er idea. If you decide to try the diy’er method someday, be sure to only jack at the approved jacking points. Otherwise you can damage the vehicle. On my Corolla, the typical way I do it, I use the floor jack to lift the car at the center jacking point (under the front cross member for the front for example), then when it is up in the air high enough I place the jack stand under the rocker panel jacking point, marked on the rocker panel with a little triangle.