Oil Not Draining From Filter Sump

My Son in Law to be had me change his oil in his 2019 VW Tiguan, 2 liter, he says. I found the sump below the oil filter cartridge filled with oil. I had to suck it out with a syringe. Iam trying to upload a picture of this sump with the oil sucked out so you can see what the sump looks like down there. But i havent been able to attach this picture, i dont know why. In videos i have seen of these oil filter sumps, they are always drained down. Might anyone know why this one is full of oil when ive drained all the oil from the. crankcase?[quote=“gudenteit, post:1, topic:194102, full:true”]
My Son in Law to be had me change his oil in his 2019 VW Tiguan, 2 liter, he says. I found the sump below the oil filter cartridge filled with oil. I had to suck it out with a syringe. Iam trying to upload a picture of this sump with the oil sucked out so you can see what the sump looks like down there. But i havent been able to attach this picture, i dont know why. In videos i have seen of these oil filter sumps, they are always drained down. Might anyone know why this one is full of oil when ive drained all the oil from the. crankcase?
[/quote]

How much oil did you remove?

That may just be the way the engine is configured, no simple way to get that portion of used oil out. Diy’er, I have no experience with that engine myself. But suggest to double check you actually drained the oil out of the oil pan, and not the transmission fluid or something else.

Note: By way of nomenclature, “sump” usually refers to the oil pan. For clarity when discussing this issue with shop techs, suggest to use a different term for the chamber under the oil filter housing.

Transfer the jpg file from your camera to your computer. Make sure it opens ok in your photo viewer program, Microsoft Paint etc. Then to post the jpg here so we can see it, click on the 7th icon from the left, top row of the forum post-editing window. Horizontal line with an up-arrow.

It was oil, with the quarter turn plastic drain plug described in an oil change youtube video

I sucked out about 8 ounces i suppose

I clicked on the 7th icon from the left and all that is, is a calendar

Plastic drain plug for the oil pan? hmmm … I’d guess VW recommends replacing the drain plug w/a new one on every oil & filter change. Sorry, but no idea if that 8 ounces remaining under the housing is normal or something is clogged . Did the oil that drained out look to be in pretty good condition? Miles/time since the last drain?

Another idea, maybe air needs to get in somewhere to allow that oil to drain out. Try removing the cap where you add oil, and remove the dipstick from the tube.

I did these thi gs, also, the oil looked normal darkness

You need to remove the plastic plug and replace it. make sure it comes with a new O-ring because that needs to be replaced too.

Do you see any oil drain path at the bottom of that hole? If not, you’ll either have to get it out by your own invention, or just leave a cup of old oil in to mix with the new oil.

Here is a picture of this oil filter sump. I tried to upload it a while back from my cell and couldn’t do it. I am using my laptop here. The owner of this Tiguan says it is a 2 liter. I’m not convinced, however. He has no owner’s manual, and I can’t find the engine size on any sticker or data plate anywhere. He said the VIN code only said 4 cylinder. He went online and said it is a 2 liter. I saw engine sizes myself online listed less than that for gasoline engines. The 2 liter was said to be for a diesel. This engine is a gasoline engine. I had sucked the oil out with a big syringe but am concerned that something is plugged up. But now you can see the cavity at the bottom where the oil should be flowing. The engine has been running after the oil change, hasn’t gotten oil starved that I know of. I haven’t heard anything from him about it after the oil change. This is my daughter’s fiancee, surely I would have heard something if the engine tied up or burned up… In youtube oil change videos for this type engine I have watched, no picture of the sump had any oil in it…

I guess I should call it the oil filter base?

Yes, or oil filter housing.

From what I can tell the basic version comes w/two engine options.

2 L 4 banger turbo DGUA

1.4 L 4 banger turbo CZDA (Mexico)

The data I’m seeing isn’t entirely clear, but best guess, both engines appear to be gasoline powered. I’d expect to find the engine code (DGUA for example) on an emissions data sticker on the underside of the hood. Maybe the hood was damaged and repainted on this particular car. You’d think the engine codes w/“D” would be diesel, the the ones w/“G” would be gasoline. But apparently not. Maybe they use letters in the engine codes corresponding to the German words for diesel and gasoline? Since you have the car, gas/diesel should be obvious by looking at the refill lid area.

I’m not seeing any hole in the bottom of that canister in the photo above that would allow the oil to drain out by gravity power… Maybe you either have to live with a little of the old oil staying in the engine, or drain it out using a syringe, etc.

VW puts a 2.0 L turbo 4 gas engine in most everything it sells, except for the smallest models. Audi uses pretty much the same engine, and Porsche uses one in the base model Macan. Lots of different HP outputs.

1 Like

I have a rather simple solution, as for determining the engine size . . .

Post the VIN and one of us will decode it and give you an answer soon enough

The only listing for a 2019 Tiguan on Rockauto is the 2.0L turbo 4 gasoline engine.

1 Like

Stop that. The oil you see goes straight to the oil pump. You do not want to lose the prime for the pump and that is why it is there.

That filter location is a gift. You don’t have to lay on the floor, remove the undertray and let oil run down your arm when you remove it.

The 8 ounces or so of dirty oil will mean nothing to the engine.

3 Likes

Yep, a little old oil hurts nothing. If you must remove it, replace it with new oil.

2 Likes