Oil light still on after oil change

Here we go again.
At least twice each month, we get questions in this forum from people who have destroyed their engine because they did not understand the function of the “oil light” on their dashboard. For your sake, I hope that I am wrong.

If this “oil light” is the type that I suspect it is, then it is a warning that the engine’s oil pressure is dangerously low, and that the engine should be immediately shut down in order to avoid engine damage.

Some cars have a light to indicate the need for an oil change, some have a light to indicate a low level of oil in the crankcase, but ALL cars have either a warning light or a gauge to warn of low oil pressure. Since the Neon is a “low end” car, I suspect that the only one of these lights on that car is the latter type–and this portends problems for you.

It is possible that the engine’s oil pressure sensor is defective, and is causing the light to come on by mistake. It is also possible that poor maintenance has led to oil sludge in the engine, and that the engine’s most sensitive parts were deprived of normal oil pressure, with resulting engine damage. It is also possible to have a defective/worn out oil pump, but this is very rare.

So, my suggestions are as follows:

DO NOT start the engine or drive the car for the time being, at least.

Open the glove compartment, take out the Owner’s Manual, and read the section on dashboard warning lights and gauges in order to determine the exact nature and function of that “oil light”. If it turns out that the “oil light” is an indication of the need for an oil change, then perhaps it just needs to be reset by a mechanic.

If it turns out that the “oil light” is an indication of low oil pressure or a low oil level, then you need to have the car towed to a competent mechanic for examination of the engine. If you are very lucky, the problem may turn out to be merely a bad oil pressure sensor or a bad oil level sensor. If you are not lucky, you will likely need a new engine.

Please do us a favor and post back with the exact wording from your Owner’s Manual regarding the function of that warning light. I am very curious to hear what the manual states about the “oil light”.

If it turns out that this light is a warning of low oil pressure, the saddest part of this whole scenario is that engine damage could have been avoided by simply taking some time to familiarize yourself with the function of the warning lights on the dashboard. Yes, I know that we are all very busy nowadays, but by not taking perhaps 15 minutes to read that section of the manual, you may have cost yourself a few thousand dollars.

2 Likes