Oil leak

I have a 2000 Cadillac with 138,000 miles on it. It is in good condition with the exception of a small oil leak near the front of the engine (a few drops overnight) I was thinking of adding a can of STP. Would that slow the leak and/or be good for the engine?

I don’t recommend additives. My recommendation is to have it looked at. It could be a simple poor oil filter installation, or it could be a front main seal. Whatever it is, at least you’ll know and be able to make a decision from there.

By the way, it could also be a loose oil drain plug about to drop off and leave the driveway full of oil and the engine destroyed. Have it looked at to be on the safe side.

I agree. Until you know exactly where the leak is coming from, I wouldn’t dump an additive in.

The leak is coming from around the pan in front. It is not the filter or the drain plug. My oil change people believe it an expensive proposition to drop the pan and put a new gasket in. Thats why I haven’t had it fixed.

Is this some form of a Northstar? if yes the oil change people are spot on with there being the potential for an extreme amount of work to stop all oil leaks.

I worked for Cadillac at different times and we had 2 heavy line guys who spent most of their time fixing Northstar oil leaks. Good running engines though, lots of torque steer in my opinion.