Oil leak

I own a 1989 Volvo 240DL, which I’ve had for 5 years now. In the last year she has developed a seeping oil leak. The leak is very slow and not a big problem, except that it ruined my last alternator from dripping onto it, and the oil gets burned up and lets out a foul odor. I tried replacing the gasket where the leak is coming from to now avail. I then tried this goopy epoxy, also to no avail. In desperation I’m considering a stop leak fluid that goes into the oil intake and apparently seals minor leaks. Any word(s) of warning???

Warning, Warning!

How many miles does this have on it?

Unfortunately, when engines get old, they get can worn out. The cylinders and rings wear, the rings can lose their spring tension, and combustion gasses begine to blow past the pistons and elevate pressures in the crank case. Since 20 year old seals and gaskets are typically worn, shrunk, and compressed too long to still seal, the pressure can push the oil past them.

A stuck PCV valve can exascerbate the problem by not allowing the normal pressure relief. The pressure is not only in the crank case but also under the valve covers, since it travels up there through the oil return passages. Try changing the PCV valve for about $20 and see if it helps. But don’t get too optimistic.

You can also consider changing the main seals and the cam seals, but in a 20 year old engine I’m honestly not sure I’d bother. It’s your call.

Stop leak products won’t fix it, and may do more harm than good. Don’t waste your money.

Are you sure the gasket you replaced was the one that was leaking?