Oil Filters

I hope this hasn’t been discussed,pros& cons,cartridge vs. spin on oil filters.Which do you prefer?(My vote goes for spin on-if you can dispose of them properly)-Kevin

It’s been discussed, but not for a while.

Personally, I think spin on filters were the best invention second only to sliced bread. I could be wrong, but I think cartidge filters are a manifestation of the “save the earth” movement. Less waste in the dumps. I’m not buyin’ it. Spin ons can be recycled.

I’ll take a spin-on over a cartridge filter any time.

I do too,we used to convert our old Fords to spin on-Kevin

Isn’t it odd how some things reinvent themselves decades after being replaced. Replacable filter elements preceeded spin-ons. Just as headlamps with replacable bulbs (now back again) preceeded sealed-beam headlights.

Comming from BMW I am an “elemenent in the can” guy. They are mounted right out front and straight up and down. Any other kind of mounting would be cruel.

Ever pulled a filter off a Northstar or a Cavalier (2.2 or 2.4 cant remember) a real pain and they are spin-on

The spin-on was mostly an evolution to full flow filtration. Except for the old Chevy cartridge, I don’t recall anything but a bypass canister filter being fitted on engines. The spin-on also required less time to service compared to cartridges back then. Some of the current cartridges require much more time to service vs. either the old style or a spin-on. Many are quite easy.

One neat evolution that’s by Fleetguard is a spin-on canister that has a cartridge in it. It’s hopelessly expensive compared to your $3 filter, but would be a factor where mixed fleet outfits had to deal with disposal costs or some local/state regulation regarding filters. The Champ Lab Ecore is one evolution in the right direction. Beyond the can itself, there’s no metal in it. Get commercial can cutter and dump in the respective bin. Recycle the metal, and dispose of the composite filter element.

Choice is mostly the sacrificed element in this evolution. You can’t fit bigger or longer or (usually) finer cartridges. You don’t get a low ball and a premium offering in many cases.

Thanx for the replies,true-the centrifugal filter on Maxidyne engines look to be a disposal problem due to thier construction,the old spin on Chevy filter could be upgraded to a double capacity filter real easy if you had the room.-Kevin

Just as headlamps with replacable bulbs (now back again) preceeded sealed-beam headlights.

Yea, in that case it was an improvement moving to sealed beams and then a back to the dark ages free for all with the designers winning over the engineers now with almost impossible to change lamps and nearly impossible to adjust with short lived plastic covers.

Kevin, Ever See A Toilet Paper Oil Filter ?

Looks like they’re still around. I remember seeing them years ago in a J.C. Whitney catalog or some such thing.

Maybe they work great (cough, cough), but to me the whole thing smells like a load of #@&% ! (Sorry !)

What next ? Oil Bath air filters in bathroom exhaust fans ?

Here’s one :
http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

CSA

P.S. I see the instructions show the " special self-tapping fitting for the oil return line ". Get your kids off the street !

My daughter’s Civic headlight bulbs were torture to change, but my tC bilbs are the easiest I’ve ever done. The difficulty varies widely with make and model.

The sealed beams on my old pickup had the tabs on the aluminum retainers under the plastic grillwork. To replace them without prying.distorting the grillwork almost to the breaking point, unscrewing the screws at an angle, and bending the retainer up on two of the ears, required removing the front bumper, removing the grill, (I kid you not…it’s in the owner’s manual that way), and then removing the retainer screws.

Sometimes I wonder what these engineers are drinking when they design these things.

No,and I would rather not,cant imagine what would happen when the toilet paper disintergrates-Kevin