Oil change

Before you buy the materials…go and ask them. Every mechanic I know of doesn’t have a problem with this.

Sorry about your job loss.

An oil change is one of the most basic and simple of DIY procedures and you would save money by doing it yourself.

Invest $20 in a Haynes manual so you’re sure you’re pulling the right drain plug.
Get either ramps (my preference) or good solid jackstands.
Be sure the car is stable, solid, and secure before ever getting under it. Parking brake on, rear wheels chocked, tranny in P (for an automatic) or reverse (for a manual).

Get an inexpensive box end wrench for drain plug removal. I use an aluminum turkey baking pan for a drain pan. It works fine. I toss the pan after using.

Get a “shorty” box end wrench for reinatalling the drain plug. That’ll help prevent overtorquing…used prudently.

Get a good filter wrench that grabs around the circumference. The types that go over the end of the filter are virtually useless.

Be sure the old filter gasket is off and the surface clean when removing the ole filter.

Lube the filter threads and gasket before inatslling. Torque the filter HAND TIGHT ONLY. I always wear latex gloves for better grip.

After refilling check the level, check for leaks, start up and recheck.

You don’t need that much to change the oil. Ramps are better than jack stands. You might be able to carefully drive up on a curb or something else. A wash basin will work to catch the oil. Recycle the oil using a liquid laundry detergent jug. You will need to buy wrenches for the filter and for the drain plug. I would also suggest having a spare drain plug and washer handy.

I am so moved by everyones input I feel happy tears in my eyes. My father (back in Romania)will be very thankful to You guys for taking such good care of me. He’s been a mechanic 4 about 51 years almost now. He retired some years ago but still works part time(he can’t help it). I’m glad I found You guys, since he is not very familiar with all the cars here in the U.S to get his help. Thank You very much!! I think I’m in love with site…

Your post has truely gievn me a warm feeling. Welcome to the forum.

Sincere best. And stop by anytime.

Thank you and I’m happy to bring a good/warm spirit.

Just find a place that uses (popular)Mobil 1 and likely charges $60. My independent does this as does. I noticed even a Saab dealer did too in their menu of services when checking out Dent Wizard there.

In my area taking Mobil 1 does not really save much. $20+ for a jug and they charge $24.95 for oil change with their own oil.

They charge about $60 locally for oil change with Mobil 1 + OEM or high quality oil filter.