Oil change for A 2005 Chevy SSR

I usually take my SSR to the deader to let them change the oil. I decided to try it myself, Is there anything that would prevent me from doing it at home?
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated

Nope. Most of us do ours at home. Nothing special about the SSR.
Get a repait manual at the local parts store, look over the procedure, and see if you feel comfortable with it.

Suggestions:
Buy a good filter wrench that grabs the filter around the canister. The ones that go on the end like a “cap” are useless.

Use the wrench to remove the old filter, but never use a wrench to tighten one on. It should be wrist tight only. I use dispozable latex glozes for added grip.

Use a “stubby” box wrench (cut one’s handle if necessary) to prevent overtightening the drain plug. And it should always start to screw in easily and smoothly. If you have to muscle it, something is wrong. Take it out and start over.

The same with the filter. It should always spin in smooth and easy. And be sure that the old mating surface is free of the old gasket before installing the new filter. I always check, and I always clean the surface.

Use only the oil recommended in your owner’s manual. And the amount.

Double check your work when you’re done. And double check for leaks after starting the engine.

I use a disposable aluminum turkey pan, then throw it away after every oil change. It’s worth the extra $1 to me. Disposeo f the old oil at your local distribution center (dump) per their procedures. Never dump oil into the ground.

@the same mountainbike

" Suggestions:
Buy a good filter wrench that grabs the filter around the canister. The ones that go on the end like a “cap” are useless. "

I have, probably, 10 or 12 oil filter wrenches. Some are quality strap type wrenches and some are cap style wrenches. Some are duplicates because I run a separate tool box that is just an oil change rolling tool box, but I need both types of wrenches.

I’ve got Chryslers and GM cars. I can use a strap wrench on the Chrysler and on one of the Impalas and the Bonneville, both with the 3.8L engine.

However, a couple of the newer Chevrolet Impalas (3.9L and 3.5L) have filters that require a cap style filter wrench. The filters crew in vertically into a “tunnel” cast into the aluminum pan. It’s not a bad set up, right near the drain plug and not very messy, but without a cap style wrench would be a nightmare.

May I tweak your suggestion a bit and say,
" Buy a good filter wrench that grabs the filter around the canister [ or a cap style wrench, whichever works best. ] The ones that go on the end like a “cap” are useless [if they’re made of plastic. Plastic slips. A quality steel wrench of the correct diameter and the correct number of flutes works great on cars that need one. ] "

I always take the size and brand filter that I use with me to the store when buying a wrech to fit and also take a careful look at access to the filter on the car it fits.

I use factory original OEM filters, except sometimes Mobil-1 filters. The cars I own require 5 or 6 different filters and several different size and style of wrenches.

CSA

My friend, you are very welcome to modify the suggestion. There are dozens of different filter wrenches if not hundreds, and whatever works is the best type.

I have an old one in my collection that’s a strap steel spring that “screws” around the filter ase and tightens as you turn the driver at the end counterclockwise. It’s always been my favorite, but it’s the size of my old filters of many years ago, and I can’t find one like it anymore. It seems like every so many years I have to buy a smaller filter wrench. Pretty soon the filters will be the size of a peanut.

For my '86 Toyota van I had to creat a special tool to remove the filter. It had the engine in between the front seats, under a “garage”, and it was impossible to access without a lift…or a special tool.