Oil Change 2008 Rav4 V6

We just bought a 2008 Rav4 V6. It does not use a normal oil filter. You just replace the filter cartridge. I’ve always changed my own oil, and would like to do the same on the Rav4. Are there special tools? Are there any tricks? I looked at the replacement filter cartridge at the parts store, but that doesn’t really give me a good idea what I’m up against. Thanks

Cars seem to be going that way…Far greener to just change the filter-element then the whole filter. My wifes 2007 Lexus has this setup. No special tools needed. You’ll need a filter wrench for that filter. I had to buy a cap one that fits the end…None of my other 5 filter wrenches worked. But no big deal…

For my wifes car the first 2-3 oil changes I could only find filters from the dealer…Now a year later I have no problem buying Purolator, Wix or Fram.

On my wifes Lexus to change the filter first you drain the oil out of it. There’s a little bolt you remove and push in this plastic drain piece (it comes with the new filter). Then remove the cartridge. Take out the old filter…What I like to do next is get some paper towels and clean out the inside of the cartridge. Then put in the new filter…Put the cartridge back in…(make sure the drain plug is put back in too). It’s a little more time consuming then replacing a standard filter on cars…but not that bad.

Car manufacturers are going back to the old system (60"s & earlier) when cars used cartridge or element type filter. My 2006 Malibu uses the cartridge also. I happen to have a 32 MM socket that fits the cap or cover of the filter assembly. You can use any wrench, like adjustable, open/close end wrench, socket wrench, etc…The cartridge for my Malibu costs more than the regular or throw-away type filter.

The cartridge for my Malibu costs more than the regular or throw-away type filter.

Right now that’s just manufacturing costs. Not too many cars are using this type of filter yet so the manufacturing cost will be higher. I HOPE that when more cars use this and manufacturing costs decrease they’ll pass that savings to the consumer…but I won’t hold my breath.

Personally I prefer a throw away filter-in-a-can. Less messy.

Actually I’m finding this to be less messy…Because you drain the oil out of the canister before you remove it to replace the filter. So there is very little oil left in the canister.

I’m growing fond of this actually…I never liked the idea of putting that metal in the landifll.

There’s a little bolt you remove and push in this plastic drain piece (it comes with the new filter). Then remove the cartridge

I haven’t had to deal with one of these yet. I hope I misunderstand your description. If I remove the little bolt, doesn’t oil come draining out before you can insert the plastic drain piece?

Go to www.rav4world.com real good site for rav4