Oil Change expert needed

The bypass valve in Toyota (and many others) are built into the filter housing - which you don’t change. All you do is change the filter element inside the housing.

Yeah. Talk about regressing backwards. If this keeps up we’ll have oil lamps for headlights again.

1 Like

I like this better then the canister filters. Little more difficult to do (but not much). And it puts a lot less in landfills.

California estimates that several hundred tons of used oil filters enter their landfills every year.

I think it’s safe to say we feel differently about these new filters. :smile:

definitely :slight_smile:

the first car I owned was using a “replaceable paper cartridge in a non-replaceable canister” filter style. it was produced in 60th… funny part was: the cartridge was interchangeable to a lot of other engines, including a small railroad thug engine :slight_smile:

I knew that, Nissan has it in the filter adapter, but a lot of them are in the filter.

I dislike the “new” cartridge filters because they are messy and take much longer to change. I put new in quotations because the first six cars did not have the"new" spin on metal filters. Two of them didn’t even have oil filters Two of them had dealer installed aftermarket filters and 2 had filters from the factory. They all had metal canisters that you removed a paper cartridge from and cost about a buck to change.

When the 60s came along with the spin on filters they were much more expensive “because you are getting a new housing too”. Now that we have gone back to the replaceable paper cartridge, they are more expensive again, apparently just because they can.

I can buy Toyota filters from my dealer cheaper than I can buy aftermarket ones at Walmart or the auto parts stores. It makes no sense to me why a cartridge filter should coat more than a metal filter with a cartridge with a paper cartridge sealed inside. Also they are smaller.

Ugg on permanent housings. Of course this depends on design and location. On some 50s era cars the housing was on top of the engine, when filter was removed goo was left in the bottom and you had a choice, ignore the goo or wipe it out with a rag. Alternately, I remember changing the filter on a Ford Y-block that required manipulating the steering linkage to gain access. Our 64 Chevy 327 had a housing but we installed the conversion kit to use a PUR-1 size spin on. I’ll take a spin on any day.

1 Like