Novice Question: about Honda Odyssey 2007 blowing cold on passenger side but neutral on driver's side

1. The AC on the driver’s side on Valerie Odyssey 2007 is not blowing cold but the passenger side is.
  2. Therefore I’m assuming it’s not for a lack of Freon if one side is cold.
  3. I took off the actuator and manually moved the levers and I can get it to blow warm or neutral but never cold. That’s what is stumping me. Why would it not blow cold by manually changing the levers? I was intending to replace the actuator but if it’s still not cold then what good would that do? Unless there’s something in the actuator that says “ kick in the ac” and without it – it just blows.

I’m a real novice at this so please speak car 101 back to me…thanks :wink:

Some systems when low on refrigerant will blow warm on one side, there isn’t enough refrigerant passing though the evaporator coil to cool it from one end to the other.

With the A/C on feel the temperature of the suction line from the firewall (the larger diameter line), it should be cool/cold if the system is fully charged and working properly.

Just out of curiosity, does your van have two sided AC control? On my newer CR-V we have two readouts, so the driver and passenger can chose their favorite temperatures.

To end the story (for now at least), I went to the local auto parts store and bought some AC Pro Professional Formula Refrigerant with Gauge and Hose (20 oz.). I followed the instructions (which were pretty clear) and filled up to the “green” settings. it was on low (very low) and now we feel air out of both vents. I did not need to change the blend door actuator (at least not for now). Thankyou for clarifying the fact that it is possible to have no cold air blowing on one side with simply a lack of refrigerant. I had assumed that wasn’t the issue because I assumed that it would blow cold on both sides automatically if there was refrigerant. At least I know how to change the actuator if I ever need to do that. By the way, for any novices out there (and I’m a big time novice), it is pretty obvious to tell whether the actuator was working in hindsight.

Thanks for coming back to let us know.