Not sure what to do with my car

Reliability ratings aren’t much use for older cars. It’s much more a function of the care received from previous owners. Certainly cars with aftermarket parts suppliers and maybe original manufacturer support can help keep the cost down and I agree with you on that.

3 Likes

I second that. Maintenance by previous owner is key. Reliability ratings are usually from owners that purchased the car new, not someone that purchased a car with 70,000 miles that never had its oil changed.

George—an RX8 is a sports car, these are for brand enthusiasts, not a soccer-mom grocery getter.

Electrical gremlins can appear in any vehicle, some more than others.

My concern is parts availability, I liked the Saturn Sky, but will not buy one because the are certain parts that are unique to it and its Pontiac sibling that are no longer produced , neither OEM nor aftermarket.
Whereas Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, et al, have huge aftermarket support.

2 Likes

When I purchased the car my situation was different. I had a job and thought I had researched the car a bit and I thought* I knew what I was getting into. Things didn’t go the way I thought they would

2 Likes

1 Like

Maybe try to sell this car as it sits and use the proceeds to buy a decent used minivan. These things are everywhere and used to be cheap. This might be most practical given your situation if you can find one for a decent price in good shape. You could sleep in it or haul a lot of stuff around if needed.

1 Like

I was hoping to get a small SUV something with AWD/4wd but that’s not a bad idea. Thanks

1 Like

I would cancel that idea until you have a settled life and income . You don’t need anything that might have expensive repair problems .

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback

1 Like

Your financial situation seems most important, depending on your other expenses and job prospects. A used headlight unit is a good suggestion, if you can swing it, otherwise don’t drive at night.

Low compression, if real, is likely to cost a lot more to fix. While it might run a while longer as-is, continued operation could lead to increased damage, cost to repair, and decreased its resale value - it will be harder to sell if not restarting when hot or not running at all.

As this is a specialty car, you might consult a mechanic familiar with the type and pencil out the various fix/keep/sell/parting out options available to you.

2 Likes

It seems unlikely to me that the proceeds will be enough to buy anything decent. The OP could end up in even worse shape.

2 Likes

One big problem in finding and keeping a job is having reliable transportation. Depending on where the OP lives, it may be vital to have a car. Even in larger metropolitan areas public transportation might ad so much time to the workday that a car is a valuable asset.

2 Likes

Not sure what your point is . I was just wanting this person to avoid vehicles that have expensive problems in his present situation . Used All Wheel Drive and 4 Wheel Drive vehicles if not in good shape can be a money pit .

1 Like

You explained your initial response better and I agree with it. One way to interpret your previous post is that the OP shouldn’t buy a car until he is in a better financial situation. I responded to that possible interpretation.

Maybe if not a minivan, something like a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix in good condition. I’ve heard of people camping in them. Not the one with the 2.4l engine since that engine burns oil.

But if you can go without a car for some time then it would make it easier because you don’t have to pay for car, insurance, gas, maintenance, and repairs right? Not to mention title services and taxes.

If you can’t afford insurance, repairs, pass inspections, you can’t afford to keep a car. You could try selling it to the dealer, Carmax, or on Craig’s list. There must be somebody that wants a sports car with a rotary engine. It’s repairable. Hope you find a job.

(post deleted by author)