Noise While Turning

When turning in both directions, front end makes a CHEEP-CHEEP-CHEEP-CHEEP-CHEEP spound.
Frequency increases when speed increases.
Brakes are NOT engaged when this happens.
Goes away when coming out of turn.

Im sure the problems could be multiple, but what is your first thought?

Not that it matters, but its a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer.

The power steering belt slipping often makes that type of noise. Please have it and the pump checked. Have you checked the power steering fluid level. If it is too low your pump may be on its last legs.

Docnick presents a plausible scenario, but I would suggest that the OP double-check to see if the noise also appears if the steering wheel is turned sharply while the vehicle is parked (with the engine running).

If the same noise appears, then–yes–it is undoubtedly a slipping belt.
If there is no noise when the vehicle is stationary, then I would suggest having the CV joints checked.

Both good suggestions here. Let us know how you make out.

It May be the brake pad wear indicators. They are little tabs of metal that scrape on the rotor to make an annoying noise to warn you your brake pads are worn out. They may be very close to touching and contact only when a side force happens (like turning).

If you run @VDCdriver’s test for a belt slipping and it eliminates belt slipping, check the brake pads while the wheels are off and you are checking the CV joints. This assumes your Trailblazer is 4WD or AWD. If it’s 2 wheel drive, you don’t have CV joints so check the brakes.

^
Mustangman’s suggestions are good ones, too.

I agree.

Does this only happen when you hit the steering stops? If so, that’s normal. If it happens without hitting the stops, concur w/above, a slipping PS belt.

I will check the parked steering test first.

Two other things:

1. i was wrong about BOTH directions. Only happens turning left, and even at slight turns. Not just full 90 degree turns.
  2. pads and rotors were replaced last fall.

What is a CV joint?
If/when i go to auto supply store, do I simply ask for “power steering belt for '02 4wd Trailblazer?”

“CV” stands for “constant velocity”.
These joints allow power to be transmitted to the front wheels, even when the steering wheel is turned. After 14 years of use, it is entirely possible that they are worn-out.

Yes, asking for a PS belt for an '02 4wd Trailblazer should yield the correct part.
This may turn out to be a serpentine belt which also drives the alternator and the A/C compressor, or it could be a belt dedicated to just the PS pump.

I had (mentally) ruled out CV joints as it would be coincidental to have both fail at the same time.

Now that you only get the noise in one direction, CV joint becomes the prime candidate.

Would a tie rod have anything to do with this?
Before I even posted this, I bought a tie rod to replace (a mechanic told me many months ago), as well as a sepentine belt, because I was told that its good to replace before a long drive.
But when I bought the belt, all I asked for was "a sepentine belt for 02 4wd Trlblzr.
Any chance this tie rod and belt will fix anything?

Any chance this tie rod and belt will fix anything?

Small chance.

Does putting the brakes on change the chirping?

UPDATE (and possible new thread topic).

I replaced same-side (drivers/left) tie rod, but apparently didnt align it properly.
So now in order to go straight down the road my steering wheel must be turned slightly left. Lets say to about 10 or 11 o’clock.
Well, since my car “thinks” I am turning left, the CHEEP-CHEEP noise is now constant.

So,

1. does this tell us anything more definitive about the CHEEP problem?
  2. is adjusting the tie rod nut to make the car track straight on the road a big issue? Must I remove tire again, or can I just wrench the adjuster nut as is?

I don’t think this car has cv joints. Did you check the inner brake pads?

Brakes are new last fall.

@mfa

You need an alignment shop to check and adjust the toe on your truck.

You don’t have to remove the tire to adjust toe,

BTW . . . there is no “adjuster nut”

The nut is a lock nut

You loosen the nut and clamp, then you turn the inner tie rod . . . that’s how you adjust toe

You’ll want to have this done very quickly, as you can ruin a tire in very short order