Noise while changing vent position

Hello everyone ![:slight_smile:

I have a european model lancer from 2010 with automatic AC. Lately when i was changing the vent position - in specific two positions i started to hear strange noises, like 2 parts rubbing each other.

I opened up the right side of the console and found out that there are two white plastics parts which you can see in below video, and when you move the vent position to legs or body, these two come close to each other and rub and make noise ( not audible in video much)

I showed to my mechanic he had the same observation but he s not much into hvac stuff. This happens on ac or when ac is off. Any ideas why this would happen,?

I greased the area little bit but no help.

In machine terms, that is a cam and follower mechanism. Noise is a consequence of 12 years of wear. Shoot a little silicone grease on the contact surfaces and that should quiet it… for now.

1 Like

Not audible in the video. Also not clear if the noise complained of is when changing vent positions or while using the ventilation system in one or more positions. If only when changing vent positions, the linkage is probably your answer and silicone spray your solution, If while using the vent system, my first thought was of something in the duct work or fan. Before cabin air filters became common leaf litter would find its way into the ducts or fan and make strange noises. It is also possible that some debris in the duct work is obstructing the blend door causing a rubbing sound.