Noise coming from Front wheels

Hello all. I own a 2003 Honda Accord with approximately 90,000 miles. I’ve noticed a metallic-sounding clank coming from what sounds like the front wheels when I go over all potholes and road imperfections (which are frequent in NY). Additionally, if I travel over the same potholes or road imperfections while on the brakes, there’s no noise. More recently, I’ve noticed an additional noise. If I am travelling at a slow speed, such as parking or driving in a fast food drive thru, I’ll hear a loud clicking coming from the front wheels as they turn, when I have the wheel turned. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has an idea what might be wrong with my car. Thanks!

Judging from what you’ve described, I’d go first with a damaged driveshaft (can’t guess which side from what you’ve said so far). Following that, you may have something loose on the front brakes, and following THAT, check into the strut tower.

More specifics may help narrow it down. Interesting that it doesn’t happen when you’re on the brakes, but that doesn’t rule out any of them. Forward momentum of the car, and the engine’s desire to keep it moving could keep some stress on the drive axle, which should keep it quiet (for a while), while also keeping downward force on the struts, and holding the brakes in place.

Whatever it is, you should get it looked into.

This is a definite sign that the the universal joints are worn. Sometimes you can look at the drive shafts and see the rubber boot is torn and the grease is slung out on the wheel well or underneath the car.

The clicking coming from the front wheels as you turn is almost certainly the Constant Velocity joints. They’re like a ball & socket joint with small ball bearings in slots between the ball and the socket. When they get worn or damaged, you can hear the small bearings clicking in the assembly when you turn.

The clanking is some other cause. At your cars age clanking is often caused by worn antisway bar (or other) bushings or something like a loose heat shield. A ilft is the best place to find the source of that sound.