Nobody seems to know

I own a 1993 Lincoln town car. I have a coolant leaking hose Right behind the water pump. I guess my car isn’t equipped with a bypass hose, so it can’t be that. Does anyone know what this darn hose is called? Is it a heater hose?

Yes, it is a heater hose that is crimped to a metal tube that can’t be replaced without removing the intake manifold. There is a work around shown in a utube video of running an regular heater hose through the front passenger side between the manifold runners. I believe it was Tester that posted a link recently.

I unfortunately don’t know how to post a link.

1 Like

Your Town Car is basically the same as a Crown Vic or Grand Marq…You could visit crownvicnet.net, sign up, scroll down to 4.6 powertrains and someone will give you help on what it takes to fix this…

This is the 1993 Town car heater hose replacement discussion;

Very easy to post a link. Open another browser window, navigate to the page you want. Go up to the window where the address is displayed, Select it (usually just clicking in the window will select it, you will see it become highlighted), select copy.

Go back to the browser window with cartalk in it, and paste the address in the window where you are typing. I’ll past the link for the car talk site as an example.

https://community.cartalk.com

It seems that you have had four threads about this leak. The first in July, 2017 . Why not just have a shop repair it and be done with it ? Running low on coolant is not something I would do. You could ask an independent shop if they can just bypass the part that is hard to get to.

That was a different leak and was resolved. This is a current leak. I I was having a hard time viewing my responses so I created another thread

I have no experience with the 4.6L but had a similar (and educational) experience with my 1985 Crown Victoria 4.9L. “Leaking water pump”. I had previously replaced 3 small block Ford leaking water pumps. 1 from front seal and 2 from rear backing plate. This one was leaking from the rear. I replaced it. “It” was still leaking. Inspection mirror with flashlight revealed it was a pin-hole on the bottom of the little !#%$*&! bypass hose! I purchased 1 foot of 5/8 inch heater hose and 2 worm clamps for $1.50. I could have loosened the pump and slid it 1/2 inch forward but was afraid the already compressed gaskets would possibly leak. I used a gasket scraper to pry/compress the 3 inch hose and successfully install it. Lessons learned: Experience is very valuable but can sometimes bite you. Always expect the unexpected. When doing a time consuming repair, replace inexpensive things. Removing the intake manifold to replace a little hose on the 4.6L is insane.