No, you can't!

It’s really the other way around. The RR bridge goes over a city street, so the street does not cross RR property but the bridge is over city property. As far as standard crossings, I don’t know who actually has the easement but I think the feds are involved with the whole RR regulations. Pretty sure the city street was there before the RR though as part of the original plat. A little farther down the line it crosses over a state highway which is a different authority and then a river. I know the RR does not own the river.

This is why my wife and I get new phones every two years.

2 Likes

I wonder if this comes under the natural feature rule. A pre-existing feature, even if man made, is often termed a natural feature, and the public has to learn how to live with it. It may work that way in this case, because the low bridge has been there for decades, and it is reasonable to expect everyone to know about it. Further, if trailers are taller than they used to be, then the bridge definitely predates that change.

If I was an experienced owner-operator making a decent rate, I might pay for an expensive GPS system that is sophisticated enough to take the vehicle’s height into account, but if I was driving a company truck for an entry-level rate, I’d probably use a free GPS on a smart phone.

2 Likes

A few years ago this was being discussed along with another standard crossing. Seems to me it was the DOT that was mainly involved. In Minnesota the DOT is in charge of not only roads but I believe RR, some air ports, and I believe even some river travel. May be wrong-been a few years but I remember them being involved in some way. Of course they need to coordinate with the Feds and there is the RR Act or something that gives them a lot of rights.

Way back there was a big to do in Rochester with the Mayo Clinic when the coal trains increased. They ran right through town and the Mayo feared EMS could be cut off waiting for the train to pass. Sounded like it was really up to the RR though and the city didn’t have much say. I’m way beyond knowledge level but I know the RR refused to regrade the bridge so we live with it. Poor turkeys.

Ally bank lets me scan checks with my printer and old mac desktop to deposit them.

Railroads have special easement rights that date back over 150 years. They will NOT move or raise or lower their bridge.

1 Like

I use my cell-phone to scan and deposit checks.

I know at least one of those apps takes the vehicle height into account. It’s part of the setup and can be easily changed.

1 Like

As did I, until my bank upgraded their app and my phone’s operating system would no longer interface with it. That is just one of the reasons why I am getting a new phone later this month. Costco’s sale price on the latest Samsung–the S21-5G–is unbeatable.

I’ll have to look at the cost of cellphones and plans in a couple years when I retire. Right now I get a new IPhone every other year with an unlimited plan paid for by my company.

As I mentioned before, I gave my cell phone away the day I retired more than 25 years ago.

Cell phones 25 years ago are completely different from the smart phones today. Night and day.

3 Likes

When they first came out, we got one of those bag phones. Must have weighed 10 pounds or more. We only had one and had it to be able to establish communications during a major emergency like flood, tornado, uprising, etc. I had to take it out once a month and test it to make sure it worked. Little did we realize later on that while all the land lines might be down, the available cells were also quickly used up by people calling home. Couriers and carrier pigeons work but smoke signals not so much in a storm.

Uprising??? That’s funny.

No Kidding, mine was large enough to be used as a weapon, especially with the extra life 6 hour battery pack. I also never carried it while working, only at home where I could not leave the house without it because not answering a work call was grounds for dismissal.

I have just never felt the need to be connected.

I haven’t upgraded my LG Enact phone (with slide out keyboard) in many years. Based on your recommendation I’m headed out to the local COSTCO to pick one up as soon as my bride comes back from golf, barring any issues that make it not work out.

I’ve got android, Verizon service (from up north) and high-speed Spectrum wi-fi 24-7 service here. I don’t know anything about cell phones, don’t care to know to much about them, but there’s a Verizon person at the COSTCO that should be able to help me.

I do know my phone crashes (over-loaded and old) and it can’t handle any apps.

Thanks, VDC driver!

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

For some reason there is a big push on the iPhoneSE, I got 3 free phones (me, wife, daughter) with a sweet monthly plan from Xfinity. ATT seems to be running one now

@common-sense-answer, log onto your Verizon Mobile account and check out the phones there before going to Costco. They have every phone available and the cost. You can compare features and costs for their Android phones, and go in with questions.

As a driver I can say that a great number of over the road drivers are not born in the USA. English language and feet, inches and pounds don’t come naturally to them.
A few years ago a truck loaded with bottled water destroyed a historical bridge in southern indiana.
The driver knew how many pounds the truck weighed but the sign on the bridge was stated in tons. She didn’t know how to convert the numbers.
Not saying it’s forgivable to destroy things, but there’s lots of things involved.
Long haul trucking is a brutal job. I drive locally. Same route for 21 years. I still have places that take their sweet time loading/unloading me. And I have known them for years. Imagine being a stranger and having communication issues trying to get them to help you out.