No Turn signals, Hazards dont work right

I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 with the 5.7L. My turn signals don’t work, but my hazards do. I have checked the fuzes and replaced the combination relay. I also noticed that my hazards stop working properly when I press on the brake pedal. And my reverse lights don’t work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your ground connections on each signal light. On a truck this old, there will be corroded ground connections.

2 Likes

Is that the same as the multi-function switch?

Tester

Yes. That’s the same switch

I can check that tomorrow. But I’m not sure how that would affect the turn signals and not the hazards as they are the same light bulb.

I don’t know when it Stopped but it was common fir the hazards to stop flashing when you stepped on the brake. Can’t say if it was the 80s, 90s, 2000s, or when but now cars continue to flash with the brake pressed. At least mine do.

Different electrical paths. Electrical current will follow the easiest one.

1 Like

Suggest to start w/something simple, like this. From what I can see a 20A fuse (no 16) supplies power to the backup light system. The transmission contains a switch that conducts the power to the backup lamps when the gear shift lever is in “reverse”. If you have a manual trans, that switch is located on the left side of the trans. If automatic, left/top of trans. Start probing at the bulb and work your way to the fuse. At some point you’ll find where the power isn’t making it through the circuit. If you measure power all the way to the bulbs, bulbs seem good, and they don’t light, check the lamp-socket’s ground connection to the chassis, usually a black wire.

Worn trailer lighting wiring can cause issues like this.

Just to add to the replies above…

Have you replaced any bulbs right before this started happening?

No, I have not. I have now replaced the multifunction switch and the rear lights just in case. I’ll be going through the wiring with a fine tooth comb tomorrow.

If the wiring looks good, I would check (look at them) to see if one of the filaments has broken and touching the other filament inside the bulb since they are double element bulbs…

Just replaced the bulbs earlier. Checked the front ones already. I guess I should also specify that my combination relay for the turn signals/hazards isn’t doing anything, but is receiving power from the multifunction switch. This leads me to believe that it’s something in the chassis wiring and not in the cab.