No spark

I have checked and replaced the crank angle sensor, checked for power going into the coil. Coil has 12 volts going to it. But have only 12 volts coming out to the distributor. I have ran my own ground from the coil to the frame to see if the computer is not grounding the circuit but still no spark. Any ideas?

. I have ran my own ground from the coil to the frame to see if the computer is not grounding the circuit but still no spark.

HOW…The (-) side of the coil goes to the distributor.

Need more info…Year Make.

He put the make model and year in the tags “92 Geo Metro”

I am begining to think that tags are a poor idea.

The igniter module grounds the ignition coil and then at a signel from the crank position sensor, breaks the circuit to produce the spark. If you have a good signel from the CPS and/or the ECM, the problem may be the igniter. Some auto parts stores will test igniters so you don’t have to change them on speculation.

If the coil is getting as hot with the external ground connected as with the ground disconnected, suspect a shorted igniter i.e. it is not breaking the current and leaving the coil constantly energized.

Hope this helps.

I could have sworn it wasn’t there when I posted my reply…I was looking for it.

the coil never does get hot

Did you replace the pickup coil in the distributor? The coil isn’t getting warm because there is no current flowing. Either the pickup coil is bad or the ignition module is bad.

the distributor came with pickup coil and everything. i dont see any ignition module anywhere. advance auto says it came in the distributor too.