No spare tire for 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

A lot of people would get their undies in a twist if they had to spend an additional $200 on top of a a new set of tires for TPMS sensors. People moan about $400 for a set of cheap tires I would not install on a golf cart!

Someone was recently moaning in this forum because she had to pay more than $200 for a set of new Michelins!

1 Like

count me in :slight_smile:

still, it ends up in $500+ when the dust settlesā€¦ unless itā€™s indeed a golf-cartā€¦ oh, sorryā€¦ Prius!

1 Like

Weā€™ve had a couple of sidewall failures recently, courtesy of close encounters with granite curbs. Fortunately, those have been in our car with a real spare tire and was always where I was close enough to be able to come swap in the spare, but it was several days before we could get replacement tires we wanted. With our new spare-less Honda Insight, however, I would like to get a real spare, so hereā€™s my dilemma:
I was able to track down the specs on a replacement spare from Honda, and Iā€™m also looking at an after-market one.
I like the idea of a Manufacturer part, but I wish it more closely matched the dimensions of the ā€œrealā€ tire:
Stock tire: 215/50/R17; diameter is 25.5"
Honda spare: 125/80D16; diameter is 23.9"
aftermarket: 125/70R18; diameter is 24.9"
So the Honda spare is only 94% the diameter of the stock tire
The aftermarket tire is 98%
Any wisdom from this community? Is it enough of a concern having one wheel spinning 6% faster than the other that I should go with an after-market spare?
(Too bad itā€™s not a 135/70R18 ā€“ almost a perfect match.)
And yes, I would get it fixed ASAP, but sometimes thatā€™s not ASAIWL (As Soon As I Would Like).

You posted to an 11 month old thread with a selling link . I can almost bet someone will flag this as Spam .

Yep, OP please remove the link, we donā€™t need it to answer your question.

Iā€™d want to make sure the non-factory spare fit in the trunk.

245/35 r19
87.5mm x2 [oops 85.7] = 175mm on 19" (482.6mm) rim. total diameter = 675.6mm (26+19/32") correction 654.1mm (25+1/4")

T135/80 r16
108mm x2 = 216mm on 16" (406.4mm) rim. total diameter = 612.4mm (24+7/64")

Does this seem right?

Doesnā€™t matter , ruviwije has not been here for a year .

I think you ā€œfat fingeredā€ the mathā€¦ 245 x 0.35 is 85.75 x 2 plus the 482.6 is 654.1 mm but you got the spare correct.

The math for this is a very close estimate. It varies a bit from tire model and brand to others.

Why are you looking at SPARE rims? there are plenty of rims out there that will fit your vehicle and put the same size tire as the rest of your vehicle. you can get the same style rim that you have on the car now or a plain black steel rim. Or is the problem that you need it to fit in the spot in the trunk where you would normally put a spare?

1 Like

And then there is the problem of securing a spare in a trunk that lacks the ā€œnormalā€ bolt-in attachments.

1 Like

If it fits it should be easy enough to fabricate some type of hold down.

A full sized spare in a trunk designed for a compact spare will take up much of the room. Iā€™d go with the compact.

2 Likes

Tires on the axle which contains the differential ideally should be the same diameter. Otherwise there will be some differential parts wear. Some parts of the differential only move (with respect to each other) when turning, so they donā€™t have to be overly robust, but that only applies if tires are same diameter. Driving a 20 - 50 miles that way unlikely to do much harm though. Thatā€™s the reason why the small spare tires are so common.

If I had this problem, Iā€™d buy one of the small-size replacements for temporary emergency use. But I I wanted a full size replacement and somewhere to place it in the car, Iā€™d secure another wheel, used, the same size as the other four, from a car parts recycler, pick n pull, etc. Mount the same tire as the other four, done.

You can measure the space for the spare, but how about this, take one of your tireā€™s off the car and see if it fits into the space for the spare. If it fits get a matching wheel/tire to use as a spare.
Highly unlikely it will fit the space.

3 Likes