No spare tire for 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

Have you checked recyclers/junkyards? Lots of compact spares for Accords near me.

1 Like

Thatā€™s common in a lot of vehicles these days.

The Mathā€¦

That spare is about 1.3 inches smaller in diameter than that tire as well as your tire. Both yours and his are about 25.8 in diameter, the spare is 24.5 inches.

1 Like

this vehicle has no TPMS

Honda got away with indirect blowout detection, by measuring rotational speeds, what means people let the pressure drop dangerously low and do not know about that until it fails.

you better buy an electronic gauge for $20 and use it regularly

as for the spare - just stop by the dealer and ask for the spare from non-hybrid accord with the same wheel size, do not forget to buy the plastic spacer insert and jack kit while talking to the dealer

Old vehicle. TPMS in the US has been mandated since 2008. Some vehicles (like my 05 4runner) had it sooner though.

1 Like

OPā€™ vehicle is 2017, itā€™s not ā€œoldā€

my 2019 accord has no TPMS sensors, same for my wifeā€™s 2022 Civic

they ā€œsimulateā€ TPMS functionality via wheels rotation monitoring, but this system is not capable of detecting when all 4 wheels get low on air, it can only detect the tire puncture or blowout

1 Like

Same for our Audi. It forces us to calibrate it once a year. Usually all 4 tires lose pressure equally and the system cannot recognize that. It only compares each of the 4 to each other. If all 4 were 10 psi, no warning would display.

1 Like

boils back to the least read book one can find in the carā€™s gloves box ? :slight_smile:

myself, Iā€™m perfectly fine with indirect monitoring, as I tend to check the pressure at least once in a couple of months, and I over-inflate by 1-2 PSI, so that by the time I check again, itā€™s still around normal

on the positive side: no sensors to replace when they run low on batteries

2 Likes

From post 16 it appears that by the time a puncture is detected with the indirect TPMS it is too late, the tire is so low that the sidewall becomes damaged.

it was my impression from the posted picture too - the sidewall seem to sustain a lot of longer-term damage, which would not be explained by the few hundred feet needed to get stopped

itā€™s good OP replaced all 4 tires, as they all were compromised by now

The car was bought used so maybe the prior owner ran the tire(s) underinflated.

2 Likes

That damage occurred during the last mile or two of driving, there is likely a puncture in the tread.

I like that aspect of this type of system. It tells me if I ran over a nail, damage a tire valve, or get a leaky wheel and one of the four tires is losing pressure. Apparently that fits the letter of the regulation and I am OK with that since I, too, regularly check pressures all around.

The system in my Mustang has sensors in each wheel, will also only trigger a 5 psi difference in a single wheel (I tested it) and most frustrating to me, will NOT read the actual pressure out to the carā€™s data stream for me to read with any of my scanning apps.

Having owned few Nissan cars to the point where TPMS sensors would go low on battery, and learning the outrageous pricing on replacing them, I found how toā€¦

1. replace your own sensors,while pushing only one side of the tire inside - thatā€™s just enough space to remove the old sensor and to insert a new one :slight_smile:

2. make the BCM to ā€œlearnā€ these - at first I though that a simple ā€œpiece of wireā€ trick would do, but ended up buying ā€œsensor wake-up toolā€ for something like $25 to make the whole process better controlled

still, by time time I replaced 3rd set of sensors, I cursed this technological invention and wanted something more simpleā€¦ Honda is a nice exception in this sense

Not to argue but Iā€™ve replaced one sensor in ten years for a cost of $80. Not exactly outrageous in my book but everyone has a different perspective.

in my case, multiply that by 2 cars showing ā€œlow batteryā€ within a couple of month between then, then 3rd one doing the same.

I deferred, then I was angry, then I decided to go DIY

Honda got away with indirect blowout detection, by measuring rotational speeds, what means people let the pressure drop dangerously low and do not know about that until it fails.

Whoa. Thatā€™s crazy for a 2017 Accord. My 2014 Pilot has TPMS and it works really well. Thanks for this info.

1 Like

Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia

Taken from aboveā€¦

" The Firestone recall in the late 1990s (which was linked to more than 100 deaths from rollovers following tire tread-separation), pushed the United States Congress to legislate the TREAD Act. The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 lb (4,500 kg)), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with a TPMS. For N1 vehicles, TPMS are not mandatory, but if a TPMS is fitted, it must comply with the regulation."

So I guess that changed now??

No it didnā€™t change. The TPMS regulation does not mandate a device in the wheel, just a system to monitor pressures.

Those systems withoit internal sensors are called indirect TPMS rather than direct TPMS systems with sensors in the tires.

+1
ā€¦ and it is possible to do it for a bit more than half of what you paid.
When I replaced my tires a few years ago, I decided to proactively replace the TPMS wheel sensors because they were then 7 years old. Costco charged me $46.89 each, with installation included in that price.

Obviously the installation was effortless because they did it after dismounting the old tires, so it is possible that there would be an installation fee if I wasnā€™t having them install new tires, butā€“in any eventā€“I think that their price for Dill TPMS sensors was very fair.

1 Like