No one knows what my car's problem is...(1999 mercury cougar v6 2.5L Automatic)?

Okay, I’m getting pretty frustrated. It’s been 4 times I took my car to the mechanic for the same problem. It starts at times (esp. when infront of my mechanic) and the other times it won’t start at all (when my mechanic closes) He hooked up the scanner, but there was no error codes. We tried a few things. We replaced the starter, got a brand new battery (as recommended), replaced the battery terminals because it might have been loose, knocked the starter, Checked all of the fuses to see if something has blown, going into different gears before trying to start it. Then, we tried putting all of the electrical stuff on, lights, a/c, radio, windows -sorta trying to surge it - and then it would start. We noticed that once the engine fan starts to turn on, it means that the engine is about to die. The very last time we go it running, we got to our destination, then we decided to turn our head light off. Originally it was on 2 clicks to the right. Then as soon as I clicked it once to the left, the engine died. This is driving me NUTS!!! I don’t know if I should bring it to another mechanic, an electrician, the dealership??? PLEASE HELP

PS. All of these things happened within the span of 9 days.

What does it do (not do) when you try to start it?

It sounds to me like you may have something loading down the crank, like perhaps a bound up alternator or AC compressor. Have you checked those possibilities?

nice DRAMA,now how about the basic facts.

out.

It doesn’t do anything. No sounds, nothing. It turns over as if i’m igniting the engine, but that’s about it. The alternator has just been replaced in November 07. All the electrical stuff turns on. How do I check the AC Compressor?

snickers dont pay any attention to this crack head crank. hes a 70 year old retard mad that no one needs him anymore.

Do you have a spark at the plug all the time when it cranks?? Unless it is the fuel pump, filters or injectors, if you have fuel and some spark something has to happen. Old spark plug wires ? See what it looks like under the hood in the dark.

Can you pull all the fuses you don’t need ? something is shorting out somewhere.

The fact that the engine died when you turned off the headlights may mean there is a bad ground to the engine or chassis. I would check the ground wires under the hood and clean them to make sure they are making good connection.

Remove the compressor drive belt and try turning the pulley by hand. The compressor clutch should be disengaged and it should turn very easily without wobble.

My theory is that the engine is straining due to a load on the crank and any additional load, however slight, is causing it to be unable to idle.

A second idea to look at is whether the fusible link is burned and making intermittant contact. Both theory are stretching, but they’re ideas to look at.

39,dumb ass,pay attention.

this phoney ass web site ,is nothing more than a bunch of you OLD as^holes posting ,stupid ass questions,so you never get bored in the old asshole home.

BETTER NOW ,you fuc$in moron!

call me I’LL come visit your smart ass.

LMAO!

love YA ! dick$ad.

[i]

crankwalk5 wrote: 39,dumb ass,pay attention. this phoney ass web site ,is nothing more than a bunch of you OLD as^holes posting ,stupid ass questions,so you never get bored in the old asshole home. BETTER NOW ,you fuc$in moron! call me I’LL come visit your smart ass. LMAO! love YA ! dick$ad.
[/i]

Dude, you are totally nuts. It’s almost funny.

P.S. Why are you still here if you hate this site so much?

You need a mechanic/shop who has a better understanding of things electrical. There seems to be some wires which are switched, or, crossed; or, a switch which is switching wrong.
Write down the symptoms of the problem. Does the engine crank (turn over), but, not start? Or, does it not crank? Which light switch position helps to get the engine to start? Does it always, or only sometimes, help to turn some light on?
Get your data together, and ask around for that mechanic/electrician.

Don’t forget the possibility of a dragging or bound up power steering pump…