Nissan Sentra trying to kill me

My car keeps hesitating. got a new fuel pump 2 days ago and it is still doing it. Went back and the Nissan mechanic says he can’t figure it out. Any ideas? No check enging light. Just almost dies as I am going down the road. Does not seem to be weather or gas level related.

Have you checked: spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil, distributor cap, rotor?

I am an old lady and maybe too trusting. So maybe this is naive but wouldn’t the mechanic at the dealership have done that? I asked him about the spark plugs today and he said "no that would not cause the problem. He said he drove it and could not make it happen for him.

Impossible for me to guess what he looked at and what he didn’t. Only he can answer that question. So, ask him what he looked at.

Spark plugs are probably not responsible, but more likely would be old spark plug wires that are beginning to fail, a cracked coil, a cracked distributor cap, or a bad electrical connection somewhere in the ignition system.

If your mechanic can’t figure it out, you need a new mechanic. Go to the “Mechanic’s Files” on this website to find a mechanic in your area who has been recommended by other readers: http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

Thanks for your help! The darn thing is scaring me, it’s snowing here and I have visions of being stranded on some lonesome road, or ending up with a semi trying to enter through my trunk. I will go back and talk to him tomorrow.

What year and model sentra? I have a 91 sentra and I was getting pretty severe hesitation when I was holding the throttle steady (say cruising at 45mph) that was due to a split hose that attached to the PAIR valve. But is it hesitating or is it almost stalling? Does the engine seems like it is going to die or do you feel like you are riding a bucking bronco? In addition to what has already been posted, changing the fuel filter is cheap and easy, and so is looking for vacuum leaks.

What year Sentra, how many miles, and has anyone actually scanned the car for codes?
The mechanic is correct about the spark plugs not causing this.

If the car has not been scanned, then drop by a local parts house such as AutoZone, O’Reillys, Checkers, etc. and they will do this for you free. Post any results for discussion.

Post any results for discussion. That is post the actual codes like [P1234]

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Yes, to best help you, we will need to know the model year of your Sentra, and which option level it is (S, SE, SER, etc), and if you know, which engine it has (1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, etc).

Some engines use a distributor, while other use crankshaft and camshaft position sensors.

If its a car with crankshaft and camshaft position sensors, I would replacing the crankshaft position sensor, as this would give you the intermittent symptoms that you are experiencing.

BC.