Nissan Sentra check engine light/ car stall

I have a 96 Nissan Sentra. I am having problems with my car stalling just after i start the engine and try to go into drive or reverse. Over the last 3 years this same thing has happened maybe 5 times, but only lasts for a day. This last time my gas was very low and after i filled up, she stalled, and my check engine light came on. PLease HELP!!!

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

I don’t know about the stalling, but if your Check Engine light comes on right after refueling, check if your gas cap is on tightly! My car’s Owner’s Manual requires it be turned until I hear at least 6 clicks. If the cap is loose, the gas tank evaporative emissions control plumbing won’t work right. It’s even remotely possible that could also have something to do with the stalling, if a vacuum line runs between the EEC and the engine.

I took my caR to Autozone and they told me the code was P0505 and that it was my idle air control valve. They told me the part was $139.00, but i think i am going to take my caR to a mechanic and have them look at it. Thanks for the advice.