2005 Nissan Sentra Check Engine Light

I have a 2005 Nissan Sentra that I recently purchased. It?s been six months that I?ve owned the car. From time to time, if I did not screw the gas cap on tight enough, the check engine light would come on. Once I tightened the gas cap, the check engine light would go off. However, about 3 ? weeks ago, the check engine light has come on, the read out is solid (it?s not blinking). When I tighten the gas cap, the check engine light does not go out. This week when I filled up the gas tank, for the first time I noticed that the gas is not pumping through a steady flow. By that I mean, it?s like pressure or something in the tank is building up, the gas pump would stop, I have to wait just a few seconds to continue pumping the gas.

Is anyone familiar with this type of a problem. I was told to replace the gas cap. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

It sounds like it could be a clogged or kinked charcoal canister or line to it. Do you top off your tank when you fill up? If so, don’t, because it can cause the exact problem you’re having.

On a side note, on some vehicles when the CEL comes on, it can take up to 20 or 30 starts for the light to go off, even if the problem is fixed, or resolved itself.

I would also recommend that you take your vehicle to your nearest Advance Auto Parts or Autozone, get the code read for free. The light may be coming on for an unrelated reason.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Depending on its mileage, your car may be eligible for free repairs at the Nissan dealer. In the owners manual, read “Emissions warrantee”.

i have been haveing problems with my nissan pathfinder and i it to a garage and they changed the pipe that goes from where you put the gas in the car and a oxygen censor in the exhaust and the problem was fixed… hope you find out what the problem is

What you really need to do is not assume the gas cap is the problem and the cause of the CEL.
Drop by an AutoZone, Checkers, Advance, etc. and have them scan it for codes.

They will do this free. Post any results back here for discussion.