Nissan Sentra AC only works sometimes and even then not good

2015 Nissan Sentra, 56K. I bought it used last November and the AC worked great then! (It gets cold in the winter where I live). Since the summertime, the AC only actually works about half the time. When it doesn’t work, I turn off the AC, wait a few minutes, hit the AC button again. I might have to repeat a few times and then it works.

When it does work, the air is cool to chilly, but never really gets cold. I tested the coolant pressure and that was exactly where it should be.

Any ideas?

Exactly how did you do that?

Tester

1 Like

A can of coolant charger with a gauge attached to it from the parts store

That right there tells me you don’t have the proper equipment or experience to be attempting to repair an AC system.

Take it to a shop that does.

Tester

4 Likes

I wasn’t so much looking for a fix, but wanting to narrow it down before I took it in.

You can’t narrow it down without the proper equipment.

Tester

2 Likes

Variable displacement compressor; sounds like the control valve is sticking. Have you verified clutch engagement?

So you know the low side pressure, what is the high side pressure reading?? What are they reading when the ac is cold vs when not cold??

Like Nevada said possible A/C Compressor Control Valve, if so, how do you plan on replacing it??
Evacuate and recover the R134a freon (not coolant), replace bad part, pull a vacuum on the system for 15-30 minutes, refill to the proper measured amount and retest to confirm repair??

As already said, A/C systems are one of those things that a DIYer’s can screw up and cost themselves more money in the long run… Leave it for the Pros…

2 Likes