Nissan D22 pickup hard start and low max revs

Greetings, my Nissan pickup from 2002 with the 2.5tdi engine (yd25ddti) has recently had some problems. Its very difficult to start and only starts when you let of the key, followed by a rough idle for ~10 second and then flttening out at a good idle, but when given throttle, it will only go up to 1100rpm. It doesnt die, only sounds like its at rev limit.
Ive swapped out the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel lines, checked egr, turbo and more. Havent been able to read fault codes since I dont have the right obdll scanner. Had it at a shop and they couldnt give me a proper answer aswell.
Only thing i have left to check would be the fuel pump, which I have no idea how to do.
If any one has ever had or heard of something like this, please give me any input and thought.
Olle

If the check engine light is on, about the only practical option available is find a shop that is able to read the diagnostic codes. Suggest to not replace any parts until you have those codes. You are welcome to post them here if you like for mor ideas.

On diesel engines, the fuel injection pump seems to be one of the more common failure items by reports here. The symptoms are consistent w/ a fuel system problem of some sort.

1 Like