Nissan CVT transmissions

actually, CVT it getting worn more on snow&ice unless owner is gentle on them when driving on icy roads

the story I’ve read from one russian repair shop is that they see a lot of CVT damage caused by owners repeatedly hitting ice when in energetic acceleration mode, which makes for sudden power loss as wheels spin up and then jolt in wheel finally grabbing the road after ice patch, making scars as chain clips past rollers, they tell it is always an upsurge in CVT failures coming to their shop as winter hits in their area, having deep scrapes in in rollers upon disassembly

That’s another reason not to drive with two toes through the floorboard on icy roads.

I used to be quite excited about CVT technology initially, as it delivered on better MPG and smoother operation, but with all the long-term ill effects we learn now, I’m going to run from it as a plague in any new vehicles I would buy

You know, things probably have changed in the PAST 8 YEARS.
My advice was sound back in 2010 when the post was originally made.

I would hope that people can get their 2008 CVT transmissions serviced at local shops now.

BC.

It seems unusual for a car dealers service department to be incapable of performing a transmission service.

in my case, they ordered remanufactured one from Nissan, it was in the shop the very next day, which tells me it fails so often they keep enough supply of remans

Even back then many (if not all) local dealerships outsourced their transmission work. Has been going on since the 90’s.

Not incapable…it’s just cheaper for them to outsource it to a shop that specializes in transmission work.

I agree. Dealers want to replace things, not rebuild them. They would need a much larger shop to rebuild transmissions, alternators, A/C compressors, engines, and anything else you can buy rebuilt. That’s why we read so much here about dealer’s recommending replacement of expensive systems.