Nissan Altima - sudden transmission failure following tire change

I prefer the “remove-the-drain-plug” oil change approach for the same reason. Of course for me it’s the only way to do it, driveway diy’er. I expect one reason some auto repair shops prefer oil-change methods that don’t require removing the drain plug is b/c there’s no chance of their staff forgetting to reinstall the plug, all the oil leaks out, & shop ends up paying for a new engine.

edit: I said this before on the what to do in a skid thread but so many users on here were disagreeing with me. It looks like you weren’t one of them though so I’m glad we agree on this one thing.

CVTs are known to fail sooner than other automatics if the fluid isn’t changed frequently. And apparently some CVTs fail sooner than regular automatics when the fluid is changed. I wonder if the fuel savings of having a CVT covers the cost of fixing the transmission?

I wonder if sucking the oil out the dipstick is even able to get all the oil out on all vehicles? The oil goes down at least 2 inches below the bottom of the dip stick but the bottom of the pan may not be where the dipstick is.

And you are wrong again . I have gone with the new tires on the rear for quite some time .

1 Like