New Version of Super Tech Synthetic Oil

It seems that these classes your taking are not helping. If that over priced over hyped oil was such a great thing more dealerships and oil change places would be offering it as a way to attract more sales.

20k oil. You burn 1 qt every 4K miles. Do the math

Part of that might be that the first few rides after you change oil, it is indeed “huh, it rides smoother” effect, at least I sense that quite confidently, but I let my oil stay in the engine for quite longer than 2000 miles, so it has a chance to get viscosity numbers down to the point where one can “feel” it.

The effect would be present with no difference to the new oil price although :slight_smile:

you’re telling me that you can’t feel a difference (less noise, more smoothness) when you change your oil or change your trans fluid??? Royal purple was really nice and quiet/smoother feel when accelerating. Sorry, I sure can. Now over time and miles, it does diminish a little.

I would agree with you. New oil is always smoother than what was in there for 2 or 3K miles. I don’t think I’ve ever gone past 3K on any of my cars so I can’t comment on longer intervals. My wife’s friend and dad had camry’s and let their oil go 10K before going to the dealer. Granted it’s synthetic and the recommended interval but I get nervous (OCD) for that amount. I’m a scientist and understand viscosity and oil dynamics but would rather have fresh fluid and spend the money. To each his/her own I guess.

You are one of the few in the world that can, it seems. Do you have an explanation why?

1 Like

I can imagine an engine that suffers fuel dilution might run differently when lowered viscosity, diluted oil is changed out.
An oil analysis could prove that out.

My son in law said he had the oil changed in his focus before Xmas. I changed it last week and 2 qts came out and it was black/brown. I think the drain plug was 100 ft/lbs? Filter screwed off normally. It’s 5-20 and the oil in the pan seemed kinda thick for 20w.

I don’t feel a difference and you are the only person that I have ever heard make that claim .

3 Likes

If you can then you’re changing the oil and trans fluid way past it’s time. Letting it get this far is doing damage to the engine or transmission.

Agreed
Probably because we change our fluids before they are completely used up.

ok, guys, let’s start bickering around if one can feel it or not

I do feel it, with 3000-5000 miles on full-synthetic oil in my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder and in 2005 Prius, I do not feel it in 2019 Honda, I used to observe the same effect in 2007/2012 Nissan Altima we used to have in the family, I did not observe this effect in 2013 Mazda 3

what does it prove of disprove?

in any case, I was changing oil well before it was due by the manufacturer’s spec

should I be lynched for bringing it up?
is it placebo effect?

Any chance the oil was a half quart down before changing? Maybe added oil quieted down oil pan vibrations
I’m really searching here

People have been lynched for less but it has just been a common phenomena that cars run better after an oil change, or being waxed, or most other maintenance. Cars seemed to know when they are being cared for. Then again sure maybe a placebo, or people just trying to reward themselves I dunno. But if plants feel pain, why not cars?

I noticed the monitor on my Pontiac was at 60% which I thought was a little soon but still started me thinking about an oil change in the near future. Checked the book and it has only been 2200 miles. Must be all the short trips. Still it worries me a little when I start getting to the 50% mark. Cars and cats know when their owner doesn’t like them.

Not much going on today.

the easiest for me is to review Altima experience

I was filling 5 quarts of oil, I was getting back exactly 5 quarts of “dark matter”, almost no change in volume

something tells me that some of the stuff I was getting back was not exactly oil, but volume was the same

what makes you think that viscosity did not change?

manufacturer wrote “change after 7500 miles or 6 months” and I was using better quality oil and changed it after 5000 miles and 4-5 months, so by the logic of “as long as it is in manufacturer’s spec, all oil parameters are constant, and then day before all bets are off” would have little room to discuss that other than blaming the messenger

OCD, indeed. Unless your vehicles’ manufacturers recommend such a short interval due to severe service, you are wasting money, resources, and time. But it’s your time and money.

1 Like

I still say that a person can feel the difference after an oil change is imagining things .

5 Likes

Cars aren’t alive.

If plants feel pain and vegetarians won’t eat meat because it causes pain to animals, that causes a dilemma. What will vegetarians eat if they don’t want to make plants feel pain? :thinking:

1 Like

Let an independent person see if they can see a difference. You are the ONLY person I’ve ever heard of that can feel a difference after an oil change when the oil you’re draining is still good. You do NOT want to let the oil get to the point that the engine isn’t running smoothly or you risk doing serious damage to the engine.

If the engine is noisier with the old oil, that could be caused by gasoline diluting the oil (blowby). But that would go away if the engine was run at speed long enough to boil off the gas. I’d be very surprised if a full synthetic changed at 3000-5000 miles would lose viscosity otherwise.

Here’s a Blackstone oil test with that exact problem, note the viscosity. All the other sample tests of old oil show the viscosity in spec.

2 Likes