Oil Crisis

I own a 2010 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder. This is the first car I’ve ever owned where the manufacturer recommends the 0W-20 oil (synthetic). My question - the Toyota dealership service shop insists that I can go 10,000 miles between oil and filter changes with the synthetic oil. My mechanic who I trust says they’re crazy - no engine should go that long; he recommends no more the 7,500 miles between changes at the very most. Who is correct on this? When I’ve brought my car into the dealer at 7,500 miles, they look at me like I am crazy and looking to just give them money (which I’m not). Since the synthetic oil change is about twice as expensive as the regular oil, this will have a significant financial impact over the years (not to mention looking like a dummy every time I go to the dealer for an oil change). Anyone out there have the same problem?

I use Mobil one synthetic and change at 5000 miles. I really dont care what they say.

I bet you’d be OK, but do what’s comfortable for you. 7500 would be fine with me.

I use Mobil-1 Extended Performance synthetic oil and change at 5000 miles. I really don’t care what they say.

I have 7 cars. I change my own oil. It costs me $26 for 5 quarts and $4 for an OEM filter (not Toyota, GM).

Whatever you do, make sure you open the hood and check the oil frequently between oil changes. I like to do this when the car has sat on level ground over night, before I start it.

Also, always check your own oil after having it changed and look under the car for leaks, before driving away.

Many folks come into this forum after destroying their engines because they don’t heed these simple admonitions. You can thank me later.

I check all underhood fluids, weekly. Takes minutes.

CSA

How many miles do you drive in a year? There’s usually also a time limit between oil changes. If you do 10k miles in 4 or 5 months, you’re probably OK waiting until 10k. If it takes much longer than that, you’re probably better off changing a bit sooner.

Why do you go to the dealer for an oil change?

“My mechanic who I trust says they’re crazy - no engine should go that long; he recommends no more the 7,500 miles between changes at the very most.”

How much does your mechanic charge for oil changes?

@lindyli

Here’s what you do

Do the oil and filter change yourself, using the correct oil
Reset the oil change reminder yourself
Keep more money in your pocket