New vehicle comparison

I would add the Toyota Venza to your list to check out. I believe they have an AWD versions, thought I’d stick to the standard FWD myself. Otherwise good space all the up to date safety features (stability control, etc.) and I’m sure both 4 and V6 motors are set to use regular grade gas. Fully loaded the Venza must have comparable luxury to the vehicles you’ve mentioned.

Take a look at the 2010 Chevy Equinox. Very similar to the Cadillac but thousands less. And if you go for the LTZ model with a 4 cyl (which are hard to get right now with the Cash for Clunkers program) you will find it has some very nice refinements.

I took a V6 for a drive today and the suspension rode really nicely, handled superbly through the turns and with that engine had a lot of go…

The styling is so much better than last years 2009 model. There was a point I had looked at Equinox when it first came out with the Drum brakes in the rear and the underpowered V6, I wondered whom would buy the thing. I was really impressed today, maybe GM is turning around.

Since when is an SUV known for its stability? I’ve taken corners in a minivan at speeds that I dare not in an SUV or a truck.

I did check into the MKT, but it’s a station wagon which is slightly lower than a mid size SUV/Crossover. We want the higher visibility for road travel and slightly higher off the ground for getting into/out of. But thaX for your very good reply/suggestion.

Depending on where you live, all wheel drive may or may not be worth having. In the southern states, clearly not. Up north, definitely yes. I live in the mid west and drive a Subaru wagon in the winter. When it snows, the only difficulty I have in getting around is the people with front wheel drive and all season tires who get stuck in front of me.

Because of their higher center of gravity, no SUV is as stable as a sedan or wagon. Since you are considering a Cadillac, also look at the CTS sedan. Vehicles from Lexus are quiet, comfortable and luxurious. A good Lexus SUV is the RX300. All wheel drive is available on the IS250 sedan.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss cars that require premium gas. In many cases is it is a recommendation, not a requirement. If so, you can still run regular (or E-10 for octane half way between regular and premium) without harm. Where I live the difference in price between regular and premium ranges from 15 to 25 cents. If gas cost 50 cents, that would be a big deal. Now that it costs $2.50 and can be expected to rise in the future, it’s not so important. Two years ago, when I was shopping for a retirement toy, I calculated fuel costs for a Porsche 911 and a Honda Civic. The difference between one of the best sports cars in the world and an econobox was about $20 per week. Many people spend that much on cable or their cell phone.